Friday, September 18, 2020

My Favorite Day

 Old habits die hard, I guess.  Through most of my life, Friday has always been my favorite day, along with pretty much everyone else.  Now, a Monday or a Tuesday is just as nice as a Friday because every day is a Saturday.  It does mean that the weekend for working people is coming up, and there's a chance of seeing Emily during her 3 days off, so there's that.  She had a hard thing to do yesterday (worse than observing a surgery), and it took its toll.  She had a co-worker with a suicide in their family, and it's been devastating to all of them.  When I took the girls home yesterday, her eyes were so sad, and she looked exhausted - and she hugged me tight in spite of our hands-off policy.  

Life is so short, and we have to try to get out of it what we can.  I was affected by the death from Covid last week of someone I don't really know personally any more but is a family member of people I'm still in contact with.  Her extended family was a part of our church growing up, and I was close to her cousins.  My first date at 15 was with her little brother, and she was the one to drive us to the movie theater and pick us up.  Their family moved away right after that, and when I went to the prom with him a couple of years later, she was there, probably more excited than Jim and I were about it!  

I have thought about her through the years when I would see a picture on Facebook posted by one of the cousins, but even though we lived in the same town for a couple of years, I never looked her up or ran into her.  After seeing the video of her life, I was so sorry I hadn't.  I loved seeing what a life she had.  I'm sure it wasn't perfect, but just looking at pictures over her 77 years and seeing the love she had for her family and friends and her constant smiles and her adoration for her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, I have to think she made the very best of her life and made the lives around her good too.  I'm so sorry for the family as they try to do without her.  It won't be easy.  No doubt about that.

I'm now the oldest one in my family on both my mother's and my daddy's sides - although not the wisest.  I guess just that fact makes me have these quiet thoughts more often - of regretting things in my life and wishing I had made different decisions or handled things differently - but I'm not dwelling too much on what can't be changed since it doesn't do any good!  There's so much joy in the little things, so I'm going to spend this Friday being thankful and looking for some good stuff to happen.  

It was good to hear from Barbara and Mike that they had enough rain to cool things off and get rid of the dust and pollen.  Sally was one big rain producer, it sounds like.  

What will I do with my Friday?  As little as possible. Coffee.  Catching up with some emails and blogs that I like to read and hopefully finding some uplifting things to repost.  Or at least something funny. I may get to the library. I have my usual outrage over the state of our country, but I'll save that for last and find some good things to post to cheer me up.

I'm listening to an audio book, as usual, and this one is okay.  The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith.  It's British, and I love the different accents the reader can mimic.  Sometimes it makes me laugh.  It's a mystery, and I'm not sure I care enough about the characters to even wonder about the outcome, but I'm plodding on with it.  Nothing yet about a cuckoo.  But since I can't just sit and listen to it, when I'm not walking or doing housework, I need something mindless to do.  I chose this puzzle to work on.  I'd like to be there now. Greece.


My progress.  I'm down to a lot of trees and leaves, so it's getting harder. 


I'm so ready to spend more time with the girls, and Emily wants me to teach Graysen to play the piano.  I have all my old music books from my very first one from first grade, but I can't find them in my cluttered garage.  It's also not easy to teach, so we might play around some with it - they have a keyboard - but she would probably be better off having a professional teach her.

Sewing, now, I might be able to work with her if we can ever get that close together.  When she was looking at my pictures from this week on my phone, this is the one she lingered the longest on:


She said, "Cute!  Will that help me sew?"  I have to get something going on that.  My grandmother never had time to teach me until she was too old, and I don't want that to happen.  I want to corral her excitement.  I saw this reading mat that looks like something they both could do.  

It's so cute and mainly straight lines.  They could pick out the fabric and then do some decorative stitching.  One of our AC (after Covid) projects.


This looks cute too, but I doubt I'll add that to my list this year.

Oh, my gosh.  Jeannie from The Old-Fashioned Baby just keeps on finding cuteness to work on.  Looks at these hexie flowers!  People need to stop tempting me!



I could really spend all morning looking at my favorite blogs and hopping from place to place, but I have library books that need to go back, so that calls for a walk.  

I need to leave the world behind for a few hours.  I tried going to FB this morning, because I had a couple of birthdays to remember, and I made good progress on hiding people who tend to bring me down and post unfounded "news" articles.  I'll unfriend only if things are VERY offensive and are people I don't really know anyway.  But I will hide notifications from people who consistently post offensive things without fact-checking.

I post things here only, and usually they're my own opinion, so people are free to not come here or block me, but I don't post false and misleading articles on purpose.  I try to research and find all I can to prove a point and usually like to have a link from a reputable news source too, not the propaganda ones.

The Russian interference is definitely a factor with some of this stuff on FB, and people are lapping it up without questioning it.  I went through an article I saw this morning, read several news items on it and realized the article left out vital facts that made it a totally different story.  Yet people continue to refuse to think for themselves. Even knowing it's false news, it still makes them feel good to post it like fact.  

I'm encouraged that people are beginning to realize how much trouble our country is in and how our leadership is in a dangerous place.  The president actually blamed the people who didn't vote for him for so many Covid deaths.  Un-believable!  The data he quoted was factually wrong and gathered from numbers that were valid  months ago.  Regardless of where this virus hits, a president of a country should not serve just the people who vote him.  He supposedly is the president of the whole country but instead relishes the divisiveness - which, again, is just what Russia wanted when they interfered with the election in 2016.  

That's my story, sad as it is, and I'm sticking to it.  Looking for a happy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment