Thursday, September 3, 2020

Big Catch-Up Day

 I'm pretending that just because school starts tomorrow, I have to be ready!  The only way it's going to change my life is that I will probably not see the girls during the day - at all - instead of a couple of times a week.  I will have to get creative to see what after-school things I'll be allowed to participate in.

I was asked to stay with the girls while Emily and Ryan attended the teacher conferences yesterday.  I'm still in the old world where they actually went to the school and went inside and sat down with the teachers.  Nope.  Emily came home from work and Ryan in from the garage and went to the computer.  They were both so pleased with what they heard from the teachers.  

Of course, Ms Boyles is like a member of the family after having Graysen in kindergarten, and we're all excited for a year of Katherine having her.  I'm a little sad about her missing those hugs though.  At the end of the day, parents or grandparents, etc., had to make an appearance and pick up the kindergartener.  Once the student saw their person, they could either high five or give Ms Boyles a hug before leaving.  I never saw a day when Graysen didn't almost knock her down with a hug.  Poor lady, with 16 or more hugs or high fives every afternoon - and probably during the day too.

I met Ms Hughes and Ms Peters at supply pickup.  I don't even know their first names, but they seemed just perfectly charming.  Ms Hughes will be having a baby almost immediately, so they will have a substitute until October.  Emily and Ryan were very impressed with both of them.

Each girl had to have a meeting with the teacher, and I think that went well.  Katherine was reluctant to leave her playing to go, but when she came back outside, she was smiling.  I asked her what they talked about, and she said, "Oh, Ms Boyles asked me a lot of questions about colors and numbers.  Easy things."  Obviously, she needs some work on shapes though, notably the hexagon.  

Graysen was happy to meet her teachers too, although she didn't go into detail since Emily was with her and talking to me too.  I do hope this remote learning will go well.  They have an enthusiastic leader in Jadyn, and I know she will be communicating with the parents.  She's young, and I doubt she will be intimidated by all the technology like I would be.  The girls, of course, are right at home there.

This is what we did while teacher meetings were going on.


Noreen had some extra mosaic kits that she gave me for the girls, and I thought this would be a great time to bring them out.


Katherine started off excitedly but got a little intimidated about how many little foam squares needed to be placed in a section.  Each little square had a piece of paper on the back that needed to be peeled off, so my job was to peel off the paper and have them ready to stick, and it went much faster.  And then there were only 5 stars in the package and spots for 6 stars.  Such a perfectionist.  She knew what she wanted, and all my suggestions of maybe another "jewel" would be okay to put in the star place fell on deaf ears.  She grumped about needing another star a LOT.

I grumped a little bit about how all those little square pieces of paper ended up on the patio floor.  I heard a clicking sound as I walked home and looked at the bottom of my shoe.  Glad no one was missing a flower jewel.




I took all the library books over there and read a few.  They loved this one, and I can't even remember the name of it.  I think it's something like, "Give Me Back My Book."  

Katherine thinks her new dress is the most beautiful thing ever.  She's always into animal prints and would like to BE a cougar.  Emily encouraged her not to wear the matching pants, but she couldn't resist the all-over animal print look.


I'm glad she didn't see these matching shoes.  If she saw them, I'm certain she would have wanted them.

Canvas Slip-On Sneakers for Toddler Girls

I'm not sure what the plans for today are or if I'll be involved, but I do know I have a bunch of emails to answer that I've been putting off.  I'd much rather answer them in my head and not have to do all that typing, but I've found that doesn't work, so that's going to happen - maybe - this morning.

I got back on Facebook yesterday.  I'm not sure why.  I have missed seeing a few good friends post about their lives and sending them birthday wishes, but I'm still disturbed about some posts and have to make myself not comment.  This blog is mine, and I'll say what I want, so I'll leave people alone even when it saddens me to see some of the things.  I guess I'll just cut off notifications for people, but I just don't know.  

I told Emily about saying what I think on the blog, and she very much encourages it.  She said, "One day the girls will live in a different world, and they'll want to know how you felt about things, how you had a voice and weren't afraid to use it."  I hope it's a different world - in a good way.  

I have always been disturbed about how Franklin Graham has used his influence over evangelicals to back the current president.  He's not his father Billy, but if a Graham says something, almost every religious leader is going to back him and therefore influence his congregation.  I knew 4 years ago when I learned this that that's the reason so many good and honorable people were voting for such a horrible person and couldn't tell me why.  They were under the impression that all Christians should support trump and still do in spite of his overt corruption, racism, dishonesty - you name it.  The last straw is trying to convince people that God wants this for our country.  I was glad to see that at least 11,000 people have recognized the partisanship of its leader and signed a petition asking for Graham's resignation from his charitable organization.  We'll see where that goes.  Most likely nowhere.  People just march along and believe what they're told and don't try to learn more.

I'm not sure I'll remain active on Facebook.  I think I'm so much happier when I'm not.  I wish I could follow my advice on reading the news.  I read it and get angry and realize there's not one thing I can do about anything.  Prayer?  Politics is like a football game.  Half the people are praying their team wins, and the other half is praying that their team wins.  Whose prayer is answered?  And why?  I know God doesn't care about a football team, but he does care about the future of a country.  

It's such a beautiful day.  No more news, no more bad thoughts.  Only friends and family and sunshine.  I have a whole album of pictures and videos from the family's amazing trip to Bainbridge Island that I will share later.  Just a few that I've downloaded.

The ferry ride over.  









I don't think this video works, but there are some good ones I need to convert to YouTube to be able to post them.



Since that one worked, I'll try the companion ones later.



No comments:

Post a Comment