Sunday, September 27, 2020

I Sewed it Myself!

 


My sewing day with Graysen finally arrived - way overdue.  Her 7th birthday in February was supposed to be the occasion of her getting her own little sewing machine, but we were not totally into it at that time, and then look what happened just a month after that!  No more sitting side by side and working together.  

Lately we've been relaxing a little on our togetherness, and it seemed the right time to give each girl a little special time.  Emily planned to bring Graysen by after school and take Katherine home to do something fun with her.  As they approached, I could tell Katherine was not happy with the idea though.  She wanted Mimi Time right then!  I bribed her with a maple leaf cookie, and she was happy enough to leave.  She ended up making most of these birthday cards that afternoon.  She just couldn't stop!


I didn't have any special way of introducing Graysen to the sewing machine, but I had sewed two pieces of fabric together beforehand to show her what a seam was.  Her eyes lit up when she saw it, and she said, "I want to make something!"  Those are scary words.  I only planned to show her how to keep her fingers away from the needle.

She was content to go over the names of things and was quite fascinated by the way the bobbin wound and where it hid and those buttons!  I think any little machine I get her will not have a needle threader, thread cutter, and up and down presser foot buttons, but I knew she would enjoy them.  And she did and remembered the proper sequence in which to press them - which I forget sometimes.

The seam I showed her was on two approximate squares of fabric, so I let her do a seam on the opposite side.  Wow!  She was so excited.  Then we sewed up the bottom, and I was thinking "beanbag."  She wanted a button on the front and went to my decorative button box and chose a bunny.  I pretty much had to sew that on since we had waited until we had a pouch done before we did it.  We then sewed the two sides of the top, leaving an opening, and she understood that.

And then the rice.  We didn't even make a big mess.

Once it was sewn together, she was SUPER proud of it.

 She enjoyed the decorative stitches a lot, and so did I.  I hardly ever use them, so I'm not sure what's there, so now I have a sampler.




She spent the rest of her time working on her stickers.  She's gotten quite fast with it now and loves using the stylus.  I forget she's left-handed, so I might have to take that into consideration when she sews.  


 While she was working, I was noticing this tree outside my window.  My favorite.

 The Little House aprons are now cut out and ready to sew together.




I woke up to Elise cleaning the kitchen, her birthday gift to me, including taking out all the shelves in the refrigerator.  I like that gift!

I haven't even thought much about football in nearly a year, and the game yesterday was kind of haphazardly watched.  It was recorded and watched after the actual game and then just whenever we happened to light somewhere. Emily and I liked the players' new shoes!

 Here's a video I found on a friend's Facebook page with a comment by an Alabama news guy.  The video is at the end.

Wow! I am truly impressed with the way the
Auburn University
Marching Band performed at today’s game.
As each SEC School is handling their numbers differently, in my mind the Tigers did a great job.
Banned from the field to perform by the SEC due to CoVid concerns (as are all SEC
bands), the 400 member Auburn band has divided into two 200 member bands, the first of which performed today.
First, a beautiful pre-produced video of the band was played on the big video screen, after which the 200 band members, with plenty of room to social distance, played pregame songs.
Horns had bell protectors on them and band members wore masks with special slits so the kids could play their instruments.
Click on the video below to see the pregame activities, and then give me your opinion.
My observation?
Officials from all SEC schools might want to look at what the Auburn folks did today:
They gave their fans and band members every slice of enjoyment they could find as they made the best of a tough situation.
What do you think?

It's taken me a long time, just picking it up every once in a while, but I did finish this puzzle for Mike! It's not pretty, and I did get some things started off wrong. The only thing I had to look up was Morocco's country, because I had MOO. It was MOR which made more sense. Clue: Round things? It was drinks, and I had doinks.



Close-ups of my birthday dahlias. So pretty.






No comments:

Post a Comment