Thursday, September 24, 2020

Little House Girls

I got to see the girls after school today.  I never know what to expect.  Today it was nightgowns and pajamas for Pajama Day.  I think every other day is Pajama Day.  They pretty much wear what they want to.

It was so sweet to see them.  We are hugging now - and hard.  Just trying not to breathe all over each other.  

The Little House bonnets were a big success.  I'm a little surprised.  They're like nothing I ever thought they would like, but just reading those stories makes them want to experience what they can, I guess.

Katherine said, "I look like a big baby doll, don't I?  A big baby doll that somebody stood in front of the mirror."





Graysen is coming by herself tomorrow to start on the aprons.  She's afraid I don't understand how they're supposed to look.  She doesn't know that I'm not a novice when it comes to Laura Ingalls Wilder dress.  She's sending me a picture anyway.

They had Gold Fish and hot chocolate and played a couple of games of Candy Land.  

I then got out the little mosaic kit that I've had forever.  It didn't seem like the right time for making a volcano.  They were a little wound up, and this got them somewhat settled.

These craft things usually turn out okay, but they sometimes get off to a rocky start.  They immediately started picking the ones they liked and arguing over them before I even read the instructions!

Then there was only one stylus, and it was hard to get used to.  We decided they could use their fingers just as well to pick up the "gems."  But then I tried the stylus and figured out how hard they were supposed to press, and after that it was pretty successful.


They decided to work on the stickers first and do the suncatchers another time.  It's really a pretty neat idea.  The sticker itself is sticky - VERY sticky - and when you place a gem down, it won't come off.  If you drop one in the wrong place, too bad, but nobody seemed to care.  Graysen got quite good at it and started a second sticker, but Katherine was over it before she got her doughnut finished.  I think it's something mindless that I would enjoy, but I won't attempt it.

Someone liked the bonnets a little too much.  I got an order for 3 adult-sized ones.  Spare me.


She was a little hurt that these were cuter than the ones I made her and Katy many years ago.
 

 I'm thinking about having a fire tonight with a last cup of coffee.  The wind blew pretty hard last night for a while, just enough to set off all the wind chimes around here, but it was calm and even sunny first thing this morning.  I set up all the plants and decided to walk to the hair cut place and get my hair cut.  Then I got a phone call saying the second Mah-Jong group needed a substitute, so I played until noon.   By the time I got out and got my haircut, black clouds were rolling in, and I just made it back home before the rain started again.  

Yeah, a fire sounds good.  Tomorrow I have nothing to do until after school.  

I'm still scared about the country and disgusted with the "leader" we have.  And more terrified that there are people who think what he's doing is okay. Spreading doubt about the postal service and trying to discredit voting with misinformation.  Unreal.  Making up riots that don't exist in cities that don't vote for him to get his fan base angry.  Just inciting anger and hatred with everything he says.  And no one with enough integrity to stand up to him.  Nothing I say or do will do any good, but I heard Rachel Maddow this morning remind us that people always wonder how they would act in a crisis - and now we know.  This is it.  This is how we're acting.

 I try not to think about it.  In the back of my mind, I think that surely there are intelligent people who won't let an authoritarian leader emerge and end democracy, but then I realize that no one like this has ever put us in this position in our country.  I'm sure the Germans thought it couldn't happen to them - until it was too late.  He has turned his followers into a cult who don't pay any attention to what's happening in the real world, like how his actions (or inaction) have killed thousands of people and how he mocks those who try to give us scientific information  but they only lap up the lies he tells and what his propaganda stations regurgitate.  

Coffee is good, but I think I need something stronger.  

I've received some sweet cards and gifts in the mail this week and expecting one more package tomorrow, and I'll share some of the cute things.

Just saw this.  People like this hold the future of my precious girls in their hands.  Disgusting and sad.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFeYLKbsyJM


No comments:

Post a Comment