Sunday, March 8, 2020

We Have a Seven-Year-Old

It always takes me a while to get used to the new age when it comes around.

I want to make this all about Graysen, but I know I'll fall short of describing how much she means to me and what a good friend she's becoming.

I loved her from the beginning, of course.  Even before that.  I knew I would love her but was surprised at how instantly and deeply that love appeared.



The first two years of her life, we didn't get to spend that much time together, but we did have some special times when they visited us, when we went to the beach, and when we visited them.  I learned to tolerate, if not love, flying, because that always meant I could spend time with her.

I have thousands of pictures of Graysen and more memories, so it's hard to choose just a few.  Since she's one of the few people who might read this one day, I want to talk just to her and let her know how very special she is to me at 7 years of age.

Graysen, my sweet girl.  The one word I could use to describe you right now is joyful.  You don't hide your feelings at all and find excitement in the smallest things.

Last year when you started to kindergarten (and all year), we would drive up to the parking lot behind the school, and I would take you out of the car and walk you to the playground entrance where your teachers and classmates were waiting.  You clung tightly to my hand, and I could tell how scary it was for the first few months.  You needed a hug and kiss and then a little hesitation before you could get up the courage to go in by yourself.  Then you had to have 3 waves.  I always had Katherine (not always happy) waiting in the car behind me, but I tried not to rush those last waves.  It broke my heart a little to see you so small and brave walking in by yourself with a backpack almost as big as yourself!

 Now as we drive up to the playground, you are already talking about the weather, looking to see who is waiting there, trying to decide if we're early or late, and wondering what's in store for the day.  I don't think I've dropped you off one time that your eyes weren't sparkling with excitement at seeing your friends and starting your school day.  Except for last Tuesday when you forgot your library books and gave me a sad look as you got out.  I resisted going back home for your books, because I knew it was a possible lesson that would help you next time.  I thought about it though!

I love your kindness to your friends and your acceptance of all your friends - even boys.  Right now, you say your best friend is Julie, but every day you talk about someone else that you've played with.  Chloe and Harper and Addison and Noelle.  Elly and Clara and Rachel.  You get a sweet look on your face when you talk about Johan, and he wrote on your birthday card that he wished you were his sister!  You love to tell about what you play at recess.  Ari is the pirate, and the girls are mermaids, and you have to escape him.  Running fast is one of your talents, and you boast about being able to run faster than all the girls and most of the boys.  Sometimes someone will hurt your feelings, but you can talk about it and quickly get over it.

Your love for Katherine is growing so much this year.  You still might fuss and disagree, but I love it when you run and pick her up and hug her after school and call her your baby.  She's going to be a lucky kindergartener next year when her big sister is there to show her around.  You have your own private little games and find fun in make-believe, art, Legos, babies, hiding from Mimi, playing with Luna the cat.

When it's just the two of us, we have such good conversations.  You'll tell me long and complicated stories of things you played at school and some of the funny (and sometimes sad) things that happen at school.  I love that you are always excited to see me when I pick you up and are not yet embarrassed at having your grandmother around.  Feeling your hand in mine as we walk home is just the sweetest feeling.

You understand now sometimes when you don't get to do exactly what you want to do and might show a little disappointment, but it takes a lot to make you cry.  We share little jokes and secrets, and sometimes you finish my sentences for me.  If Katherine is doing something especially cute, I'll meet your eyes, and we'll share a smile.

I'm not with you at home as much as I used to be, so I miss a little bit of the things you enjoy doing.  Right now your favorite movie is Frozen 2, which you went to see with Mom and Katherine.  When I told you I hadn't seen it, you said, "Mimi, you have to buy it if you want to watch it.  It's not on Netflix.  You could buy it, and then we could all watch it."  So persuasive.

You are liking Legos a lot right now, and your Dad is sharing that love with you, among other things.  I'm amazed at your ability to create and especially amazed at your artistic abilities.  You know your way around a computer and TV better than I do, even though your screen time never seems like enough to you.  You love doing yoga with Mom and Katherine on Saturday mornings and dancing almost any time.  You've just started back with gymnastics and are having a ball and looking good on the balance beam.  You didn't love soccer that much but gave it a good try, but basketball was more fun this winter.

You have always loved to be read to from the time you were a baby, and I have loved reading to you - the best audience in the world - all snuggled up warm and cozy by the fire or sitting outside on the balcony listening to the birds.  I can't remember reading you a book you didn't like. Now we're into chapter books - Ramona and Judy Moody and Katie Wu and many others - and you just dissolve into gales of laughter at their crazy antics.  You got a set of Katie Wu books for your birthday and can read them all.  You can read the other ones, but you have a hard time waiting for the action so would prefer to have them read to you.  I love how quickly you've learned and amazed when you read signs and notices when we're out.

You call yourself a slow poke in school as far as finishing your work, but you've learned your math skills just fine, are reading with self-confidence and expression, and delight in learning about feelings, weather, holidays, and famous people, especially women.  You say you want to be a scientist like Marie Curie when you grow up.

Music and PE are your favorite extra activities, and you like to talk about the games and fun things you do.  Last year, you did not want to participate in the Kindergarten Musical, but you got up there and had a good time in spite of yourself.  This year, when the First Grade Musical was coming up, you again got a little nervous, but when the big night came, you were there on the first row doing all the hand motions and sign language and singing all the right words.  I was so proud of you for working on your confidence and growing every day.

It's hard not to correct your cute pronunciations and wrong tenses since that's not going to last much longer.  You still say "rester-naut" for restaurant, and that one might never change!  You love going out to eat with your family:  Pizza, sushi, Thai, waffles, Mexican.  I'm glad you're getting all the experiences.  You all rode the train to Vancouver last month and had a ball.

We sometimes walk to the yogurt shop downtown, and you get chocolate and vanilla yogurt with plenty of sour gummys on top and watch the old-fashioned Tom and Jerry cartoons on their TV.  Any park we go to, you delight in as well as just nature walks, Queen Kitty Hill with Aunt CeCe, walking from my place to yours and discussing blackberries, various dogs, rocks, clouds,  trees, life.

I'm not sure my life could be better, just being with you almost every day and seeing you grow and mature.  I love you, Graysen Elizabeth, and can't wait to see how much more fun we can have.










No comments:

Post a Comment