Monday, March 23, 2020

It's a New Week

Except for expected rain all week, let's just see what new changes are in store for us.

I managed to take a walk between rain showers, and it was wonderful.  I'm so thankful for this chance.


I walk along and want to take deep breaths of the clean, fresh air, but then I wonder who's been walking along this same sidewalk with their germs and am I adding to someone else's problems.  So hard to know.

There have been real problems with people, especially teens and preteens, not following precautions, and I was glad to see all the parks I passed plus the skate park and community spaces were empty.  Glad AND sad.  A couple of people were playing tennis, and some guys were doing landscaping outside the apartments, but it was mainly just a few folks walking like me.

Downtown is so empty.




Our mayor, a young guy, has tested positive for coronavirus but is recovering, and the news is a little better for Washington this morning as far as percentages, but the governor will have a press conference today at 5:30, and we'll see if we hear anything about shelter-in-place precautions.

I talked to Emily, and she is at work and doing her best to hold things together.  She's trying to let go of her worry - about her family, her employees, the clinic, just everything.  I'm doing my part, as hard as it is not to see the children.  They all four came by yesterday afternoon and had another bike-riding demonstration for me to watch, and Emily and I got to talk a little bit.

It's scenes like this that may make us have a quicker quarantine.  I'm sure when these people went out for a hike, they were thinking only of getting some exercise and fresh air and not that everyone else would have the same idea!


Beaches are the same way, to the point where they've closed them along with state parks and campgrounds.  It's so tough for everyone.

But I got a new iron, so how bad can things be!  Look at all that shininess!


I'm not sure if that will be enough to send me back to the sewing room or not.  I know I was going to only iron pillowcases when I found out my old one had died, so it might take more than that.

I also got a battery tester too.  Just out of control with Amazon since I'm imprisoned.


I'm not sure why I've not had one before.  I guess I thought they were a big deal or something, but now for $7 or so, I can KNOW before I try a battery.  I only had 6 or so bad ones, so I'm charging them now to see if my old battery charger works.  So far, green lights are blinking.

Nothing has changed for the cats.  I'm not sure why Bowie is not enjoying the patch of sunshine.  Maybe Layla's badness is keeping him away.


I went to look for my newspaper yesterday morning, and it wasn't there.  Layla can't believe it's not there either.


I'm not sure if they're not delivering or if my subscription has run out.  I'll have to check on it.  Jamie across the landing has a beautiful cat that we can see from the window, but I don't think Layla knows about him yet.


They are more interested in watching the birds come to the bird feeder.  That may not last long if they don't stop making such a mess on the balcony.  We're getting all this painting and pressure-washing next week, so I'll have to reassess whether to hang it back.

I heard from Dina and Gaby today, and Guatemala only has 20 cases of the virus, but they're pretty much all having to stay home.  We're all wishing we could wait this out at St. George's!  I cannot imagine how fun that would be with all the kids being allowed to run and play so freely, and the rest of us just to relax in the warmth and laugh and talk.  Such a dream for us!

And I've just now been talking to my friend from Debra from Thomaston.  So many memories.  So many things to laugh about.  We talked about her (uncertain) future there and how much longer she would work and remembered our trip to Jekyll Island in 1978.  I have the beach on my mind today.  She opened the conversation by reminding me she was practicing social distancing.  I think 2500 miles away is far enough.  We even talked about taking a road trip since we can't see our grandchildren, but we're not sure we can find enough back roads to get us from one side of the country to another.  I can't think of many things that would be more fun though.

I'll read a little bit and maybe test my new iron and wait for Governor Inslee's revelations in an hour or so.  We do have a lot to be thankful for right now - like electricity and water and plenty of food, good health, family and friends, not to mention telephones and the internet to keep in touch with them.



No comments:

Post a Comment