Tuesday, March 17, 2020

I Forgot to Wear Green

Not that I've ever celebrated St. Patrick's Day much, but with kids you're aware of all the holidays.  I sent over green gummy bears and a note, but I didn't make shamrock ribbons to wear just for the day.

I'm sure the days are getting long on Steller Way.  Ryan just texted me and asked for the password for ABC Mouse!  I guess they wore him down.  AB Shee Moush? with big sad eyes is Katherine's way of asking. 

My day was much the same as yesterday.

Had coffee, read as much of the news headlines as I could stand.
Made some breakfast about 10:00.
Moved my income tax papers around and pretended to understand them.
Make a grocery list for Elise to go haul in some provisions.  She did a pretty good job, but I don't remember asking for these cute little containers of shrimp.


We're not hoarding, but we wanted to get a supply of canned things and some freezer things "just in case."  It was good not to have to go to the grocery store, because everyone else has the same idea.  With kids home from school and people working from home, people are needing a lot more groceries.  And the fear of the unknown...

When I opened the garage freezer, I found a couple of interesting things I had forgotten about.


Last Christmas, Ryan and Emily bought enough groceries to get a free turkey but already had one, so they put it in here until needed.  I'm not sure whose birthday cake that is on the top shelf.  It looks a lot better than the veggies on the middle shelf, for sure.  We certainly won't go hungry for the immediate future anyway.

My walk was nice again, warm enough for just a long-sleeved sweater and no jacket.  I carried two books to put in the book drop, but even the book drop was closed.  So I had to bring them home again.  At least there are no fines while they're closed.

There was a Shamrock Scavenger Hunt all over town where people put decorations in their windows for kids to walk around and find.  There will be a new art project every week.  I saw a few of them on my walk this morning, and here is a cute picture I lifted from FB.

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, house, tree and outdoor

I see the shamrocks, but I'm not sure about that black figure hanging on the right side of the porch.

Back to food.  Because all the restaurants are closed and only offering take-out, people have been posting menus and pictures all day of totally delicious-looking meals that they're selling or buying.  It's a good way to support the local establishments.  The Snoqualmie Valley and Snoqualmie Ridge Facebook pages are wonderful with people offering all sorts of help, from picking up things for people who can't get out to sharing kids' activities to just posting funny things to lighten the moods.  If someone finds a scarce item in a store, they'll mention where to find it or let folks know if someone has a need that can be filled locally.  

 I'm beginning to feel treasured!  Safeway is starting to give seniors and those with vulnerable immune systems a window of time to shop without crowds from 7 to 9 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  If they have toilet paper and paper towels and cleaning things available, I might have to go myself next week.


I've checked in on people all over the country to see how they're getting along, and everyone seems to be fine, if just a little stunned at the suddenness of it all and confused about what's in store for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment