Monday, March 16, 2020

Spotted My Sweet Girls

Elise and I took a walk today, mainly to deliver the girls' St. Patrick's Day treats.  We were just going to leave them on the front porch, but I secretly hoped I would be able to see them.

It was such a pretty sunny day, and we loved just walking along enjoying ourselves.  Lots of other people had the same idea too, but we were all keeping our distance.  It almost seems silly - but not when you read the reports and recommendations.



As we approached the park, we could hear kids' voices, and I almost hoped they were there.  And they were!  We first saw Katherine running around, hair flying, arms pumping, and recognized her right away.  Elise then saw Ryan sitting on a bench, so we had to stop.  I know the right thing to do would have been to walk away, but I just had to stand there like an idiot and stare at them.  Katherine spotted us, did a double take, and started running toward us.  I told her to stay behind the fence, but it was too late.  She was heading for the hug!  Hip hug only though!  Graysen then saw us and ran toward us too.

We backed away then, and a neighbor doused us with hand sanitizer, and we stood there for a minute just grinning.  I suggested that they show me how fast they could run, and surprisingly - they did it.  Two more of the kids joined them.


My heart!  I miss them so much.


We walked along with them as they went home, and Ryan said Emily had gone into work to make some decisions about the clinic staying open or closing.  Hard decisions.

I got to see the chalk art they had done - ice cream cones - and listen to chatter.  They had taken a hike with friends yesterday - Twin Falls maybe?  Graysen said it was snowing when they got to the top, and an icicle hit her on the head.

It was good for me to hear them and see how happy they are.  Ryan looked like he would have liked to keep walking, but maybe I'll be able to help out soon.





I found this new path about 3 blocks from home yesterday that I had never seen.  So quiet and people-free.



So, besides missing my family, I'm enjoying this low-key life.  Not that my life was ever very exciting, but it suits me just fine to get up when I want to, eat when I want to, just do whatever I want.  Not lonely, not bored, just content.

It's upsetting to read about the ones being affected by this virus, and I'm devastated for those losing their jobs and businesses and their lives.  I hope everyone will continue to take it seriously and be overly cautious.  I can't imagine it going on for months, like I'm hearing.  I know we're spoiled by the fact that most of us have never seen real hardships, and I dread to think about the things that might happen - worse than there being a shortage of cleaning supplies and the inability to go into public places.  We're looking at really unfamiliar territory here, and I hope we're up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment