Thursday, March 5, 2020

Grounded

I've had my activities curtailed by my helicopter daughters because of the unknown scope of this virus.  We agreed last night that going to the Y would be okay since we're in a room of our own and not in the general population, but this morning Emily just made me promise to not go out around people right now.  I don't have to be convinced to isolate myself in my own little world.  I do that anyway. 

She made some good points though.  The worst is that I miss a few hours of playing Mah-Jong, which I like but not enough to risk anything, and if all is well in a matter of days or weeks, I can get back to my regular life.  I did go to my friends's apartment for coffee and a couple of hours of talking about her new house and her move to Kansas - which I don't really like to think about - but she's excited to get closer to her children.  I then walked her all the way to the Y and kept on walking.


It didn't take much to convince me.  Such a beautiful day.  A little breezy for just a sweater, but I wasn't uncomfortable and just walked and walked.  It was a good day for counting my blessings and being glad to have my health and some energy.  I guess now I need to protect it.

I got the girls to school this morning but not before we had a little mishap.  Katherine was doing what all little kids do - instead of walking in a normal way across the room, she was scurrying along on all fours like a dog.  It took just one slip of her hand to bring her neck down HARD into contact with the corner of a little table by their bed.  It was super scary seeing it happen and not knowing what damage had been done.  She was wailing, so I knew she could breathe, and she finally let me look at it.  It broke the skin a little and made a long red line.


Sweet baby.  A Hello Kitty bandaid and some Brave Balm (Neosporin) helped make it better, and she was pretty excited to be able to tell her story at school.

Poor thing is so confused about time though.  Emily and Ryan registered her for kindergarten Tuesday night, and she was under the impression she'd be starting to kindergarten - at Graysen's school! - the next day.  So disappointing to have to finish pre-K.  So this morning, she was already looking ahead and asked if she'd be able to show her new kindergarten friends her Hello Kitty bandaid. 

They're coming to my house after school and for dinner since Emily has a late meeting, so we should have a good time.  I feel like I haven't seen them much lately.

Or if it's still nice out, we might do like we did last Thursday and walk to the yogurt shop and then to the park with some friends and their grandmother - my new friend! It was a fun time, and it didn't really take too much for Graysen and Addison to proclaim it the BEST DAY EVER!

It's all up to this crazy weather. 



No comments:

Post a Comment