Wednesday, March 4, 2020

I'm Back

I had a long winter's hibernation - not by my choice - and now I'm back on a lovely sparkly March day with a new computer screen and a BIG keyboard.

This happened nearly two weeks ago.


One minute the girls were doing ABC Mouse on my bed, and then I got a phone call.  In just a few minutes, they had closed the computer and started tumbling around play-fighting on the bed.  I removed the computer and went on with my conversation.  When I turned it on that night, I was amazed at what I saw but knew immediately it was a broken screen.  

I guess someone rolled across it just the wrong way, but I wouldn't have thought it was enough to break a screen.  Oh, well.  I've transferred ABC Mouse to Mike's old ChromeBook.  That's a good use for it, to give the girls so much joy.  

I've been suffering with using the ChromeBook as a guest or using my old computer where the screen will suddenly start rolling up and down and half the keys are missing.  I just cannot type more than a quick text on my phone with a ton of typos, so I've taken a break from any typing.  With my Facebook vacation, I have to say it's been fairly enjoyable, and my peace of mind has increased a bunch.  I'll never catch up with the blog, but I read nine books in February.  

My new screen came today, and I walked over to let Ryan put it on for me.  I had watched a YouTube video and felt like I could almost do it myself, but I had a few qualms about the connection, not wanting to do anything wrong.  It was a big step for me to pop the plastic bezel off.  I was sweating that because it felt like I was breaking it.  So now I know I can do that if I need to.

  It didn't take Ryan long even if I did distract him with phone and Amazon Fire and hard drive questions, and then I got to see this beautiful sight.

It's not my favorite scene, but I wouldn't mind being there right now.


Here in the middle of COVID-19 worries and snowflakes on the weather forecast, it was such a nice walk.


I took the garden path this time.  I've kind of avoided it all winter because of worrying about finding a bear walking on it too, but I heard people working in the gardens, so I felt pretty safe.  Really, I'm not too worried about bears, but it's always possible.

This is Emily's stand of kale.  She can't stand the thought of digging it up, but they're going to plow all the plots and put down new soil, so she has to soon.  I'm hoping I have more energy this spring than last and can help out.  I have plans for some things I want to grow too.  There's also a sunny spot on the side of their house that might be good for growing a few things, like berries and herbs.


I have a lot of catching up to do, but I don't think I'll do it now.  I'm free for the rest of the day since Emily is picking up the girls.  I'm going to make a nice salmon and Brussels sprouts dinner tonight and get busy on my March reading.  I haven't gotten any of my requested books in lately, but the ones I picked off the paperback shelf and the regular shelves were quite good.

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan; Truly Madly Guilty by one of my favorite authors, Liane Moriarty. The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen was excellent.

One of my favorite February Books was Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies of a Silicon Valley Startup, which is about Elizabeth Holmes, a college dropout who founded a company that was supposed to put blood testing in homes with a new invention - but which failed, and now she's about to head to trial for fraud and other things.  Lots of things were over my head, the ins and outs of business deals and investments and stuff, but it was fascinating reading.

Graysen and Katherine were in high spirits this morning and had me trying to capture them in midair jumping off the top bunk - or the ladder in Katherine's case.





Making Plans


In the middle of a long, meandering story about - something.


I think we should have spent a little more time on making up beds and straightening the rooms.


Our conversation downstairs:

RYAN:  Did you get your room picked up?
Silence.
GRAYSEN:  Mimi, did we?
MIMI:  Mmmmmm.  Katherine picked up a hanger, remember, and put it in the closet, and you took some rings and bracelets to the playroom.  And I folded some blankets.
KATHERINE:  Remember!  I picked up the hairbrush.

So, I guess that's a NO.  I glanced at the basket of clean clothes but decided I didn't have enough time to get started on it

It's coffee time on Kinsey Street and Mah-Jong tomorrow.  Emily has encouraged me not to play at the senior center because of the the virus worries, but we think the Y is okay.  I just hope no one is coughing, because those tiles would be hard to disinfect!  I did get to the grocery store just for regular groceries, but it was full of people stocking up.  We're taking the normal precautions.  It doesn't take much to keep me home anyway, but we're doing more hand-sanitizing and washing, especially when the girls get out of school.  For once, we're not as worried about the kids as us old people!  I read that there is a new case at a neighboring town's school, so I worry that schools are going to be closing - but maybe not!  I really hate reading about all the cases.  So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment