Friday, September 14, 2018

Nice Fall Day

Happy fall!!


The park was lovely this afternoon after school, and we spent probably an hour there.  I met a mother with a new baby and one who looks to be barely walking.  It turns out her oldest little boy Brodie, who wasn't with her, is in Katherine's class.  Katherine denied it, of course, but I heard someone calling him after school today.  I'm still amazed that that pretty young girl had 3 kids under 3.

Another two sisters came and got on the swing, and that was quite a conversation.  One just turned 5 that day and was very eager to talk.  At some of the things she said, Graysen would raise her eyebrows at me and shrug.  She said she went to a really nice school last year and had a beautiful teacher, but now she doesn't.  I didn't ask any questions, but she volunteered, "I got kicked out of that school."  This is a barely 5-year-old with red hair and innocent green eyes.  I went along with it and said, "You got kicked out?"  I didn't ask, but she confessed, "I kept hurting people."  I said, "I'm sure you didn't hurt anyone," and she said, "Yes.  Yes. I did.  All the time."  I asked about her new school and if she was still hurting other children, and she said, "Not yet."  Good grief.  

They were there with their nanny.  I learned both her parents' name, her brother's name, and the baby her nanny had in the stroller - not sure if it was in the same family.  She and Graysen hit it off and ended up playing really hard for a while.  Katherine was a little clingy and whiny and kept complaining about the front of her neck.  I hope she's not getting a sore throat.

I ran into another nanny I had met at Steller Park two years ago.  I run into her a couple of times a year, and she was at the story time at the library yesterday.  I've lived here 2-1/2 years and finally seeing people I recognize when I'm out.  I saw Gretchen, one of Katherine's Montessori teachers, in Safeway and we talked a bit.  I like her a lot, and she said they missed Katherine so much.


I couldn't be much happier.  It's Friday night, and I'm all alone.  Elise is at work, Emily is in Colorado, and Ryan has the girls.  It's pouring rain, as hard as I can remember, and every once in a while, there will be a long rumble of thunder. Nothing too exciting but definitely thunder.

 I just took the window fan down and closed the window because I was cold.  And I now have a fire, a good book, a cup of coffee, and did I mention nobody is here?!!

I did come home this morning after school deliveries, got another cup of coffee, and did absolutely nothing all morning.  I had called the vet to get her to look at Stella and had an appointment at 12:30.  I really didn't know what to discuss with her.  The diabetes isn't being controlled, or even touched, and she stopped using the litter box this week.  Luckily, she's using the paper towels on the floor around the littler box.  We think it may be that the sides of the box are too high, and she's gotten a little weak.  I think I want an expert to make the decision for me and say that we've done all we can and maybe it's time to let her go, but it has to be mine and Elise's decision.  She has no life except sleeping and is always hungry and begging for food.  But she's so pretty and so loving when she's awake and not hungry.


So, since it wasn't clear that she has no chance of getting well, I ended up agreeing to $340 more treatment and tests.  Urine test, blood test, thyroid test.  There is talk of changing her insulin to a different, more expensive kind. I've lost hope that anything is going to bring her blood sugar down enough for her to have a normal life, but I hope I'm wrong.

As it is, our lives revolve around her.  Elise gives the shots, we both work on keeping the litter box emptied - several times a day.  She doesn't like either of us to sleep and is walking on us demanding food all night.  Elise gets home from work at 12:30 a.m. and is tired, so she usually closes her door to get some sleep.  I also need sleep, though, for staying one step ahead of the girls.  I feel sorry for her, but in the middle of the night, I've thrown a pillow at her a few times to get her to leave.  So I guess we'll regroup and work out another plan.

A few kitten pictures.



 This was when we lived in Columbus, and she worked with me - until she got bored.  Interesting to see those big old computer monitors and that we had to have reference books to find anything.  We couldn't even imagine anything like Google then, but now I don't know how I live without it.



Elise rescued her from a tree in downtown Columbus, and then when we moved to Montgomery and Mama moved in with us, she became Mama's constant companion and also became a little arrogant and vain.  She also had her name
changed to Molly because Mama didn't like the name Stella.


This picture is framed in Mama's nursing home room, and she loves it.  All the staff knows of Miss Molly and how much Mama loved her.




She hisses at the children to warn them to keep their distance.  Graysen obeys her and won't even go into a room if she has to walk by her, but Katherine is sure that if she loves her enough, she will let her pet her.   She asked me very seriously last night when I could buy a not-hissing cat for her to pet.

Loving that it's Friday night, and I'm already 
halfway through doing my cleaning and putting up things that I've put off all week.

Picture from Emily and Karen.



No comments:

Post a Comment