Friday, September 14, 2018

Another Week Done

I will be glad to rest this weekend, although I probably won't have the whole weekend off.  Emily flew to Colorado to see Karen, and won't be home until Monday.

And I'm tired already.  We had a sleepover last night with both girls, and while it was sweet and without any incident or sadness, it's work.  It's a TON of work, and that's why people have children when they're young.

I started the day a little tired yesterday, and all those plans of flu shot, Starbucks, library didn't go quite as planned.  But almost.  I went to Bartell's early because I thought I remembered having to fill out a consent form.  And they were busy, busy.  Katherine loves Bartell's.  It's a treasure place for her.  As soon as we walked in the door, she noticed the Halloween things and just went crazy.  Look, Mimi.  Look, Mimi.  Over and over.  There are just so many times I can get excited over a box of Hello Kitty candy or Paw Patrol anything.  She saw a stuffed Skye up on a display case and just stood there and gazed at it and talked and talked about it.  Again, she doesn't ask for anything.  She's just awed to be in the presence of so many toys and so much candy.

So, I finally got called back for the shot, and she went into the little room with me.  Very quiet, very observant.  She was standing right beside my left arm looking at  everything.  Just as the nurse got ready to poke me, I said, "Hold my hand now so I'll be brave."  She immediately reached for my hand, and when the needle went in, she squeezed so hard and looked at me with big eyes.  It did hurt a little this time, and I told her it did - but not bad enough to even say ouch.  I'm not sure that little experience will help her next week when she gets her immunizations or not.

I got the flu shot, but she got the candy.  We were too late to get Starbucks and get to the library on time, so we headed to North Bend.  The library there is bigger than ours, but it was full.  The baby story time was just finishing up, so I did get a parking place.  I think a lot of the baby moms stayed for the toddler story time, because it was a little chaotic at first.

The story teller was good and read four books, which Katherine really got into.  She didn't engage with the other kids.  She's used to having Graysen with her always.  Her favorite part was the yoga A for Airplane.


I kinda wanted to participate in that one.  I'm not sure if it was the shot or just being tired, but I really felt drained of energy as I sat there and watching.  



They had two dancing songs, one with scarves, which Katherine decided to join in only if she could have purple scarves for the scarf dance.  It was cute, and she really did get into it.

Crafts, not so much.  There were 20 or 30 kids gathered around a piece of plastic with a picture of an apple and an A, scissors, glue, and crayons.  I ended up bending over quite a bit helping her, and she just wasn't too interested.  She was much more excited about getting her hand stamped with an A for Apple than she was coloring an apple.

Emily told me as soon as I got to the house this morning that she had picked out her own clothes and she knew I wouldn't like them.  I just go with the flow.  If she has animal print pants (which she calls her kitty pants) and a patterned Paw Patrol shirt and feels great in them, that's fine with me.  I cringe a little bit - it's my generation and being from an area that puts more stock in dressing children - but she certainly fits in.  Two dads delivered their girls in party dresses and several had on tutus and tiaras.  It's kind of refreshing that no one pays much attention and frees me up to be lazy.


The afternoon went well, and we walked to the school to get Graysen at 3:20.  Graysen is so happy at school, and it makes us so happy.  She went to give her teacher a high-five for permission to leave, and she just hugged her spontaneously.  That's not like Gray to be that open and affectionate, and it makes my heart feel good.  She saw several of her classmates walking home and called to them and got waves and smiles - just like they hadn't just left each other!  Sweet, sweet age, this kindergarten age.

We went home to pack up and say good-bye to Mama before she left and then went to the Corn Dog Place.  They got their usual corn dogs and lemonade and loved every minute of it.  They never stopped talking to eat very much, and we ended up bringing half of it home to eat.

Rest of the night:  Finished eating.  Played.  Bath.  Played some more.  Brushed teeth.  Read five books.  Got sleeping bags all ready with blankets and 2 friends from home.  Watched a lullaby video which they couldn't stop and close their eyes to listen to.  Ended up in the big bed all snuggled up listening to the rain and finally went to sleep.  When I went to bed, it was like a pile of warm puppies to move around and find room for me.  But so precious.

Katherine all clean from her bath sorting my fall decorations - one pile of acorns, one pile of pine cones, and one pile of little pumpkins.  Whatever makes her happy.





Got up and had an hour to drink my coffee and then Graysen was up wanting yellow (scrambled) eggs and bacon.  I had to wake up Katherine finally at 7:00, and she wanted a boiled egg and peanut butter toast.  Then it was dress, get lunches and snacks and water bottles packed, dressing, find shoes, brush hair and make pony tails, brush teeth.  Katherine forgot her boots, so we had to go by the house to pick them up.  Dropped Graysen off at the playground - 3 waves and she was off - took Katherine to Rooster Valley where she grinned at me and said she was going to be a big girl, but, "I'm kinda gonna cry."  I said, "You are NOT."  And she didn't.  Just an extra knee hug and I was in the car headed for freedom.

Katherine helping make applesauce.  


Until 12:30 when Stella has to go to the vet.  Elise and I are thinking she's not going to recover from this diabetes, and we have to have a serious talk about what to do.  So sad to see her losing weight and being so tired all the time.

I just noticed thunderstorms are predicted for tomorrow and Sunday.  That's exciting.  I plan to sleep and not do much this weekend.  Next weekend is the pumpkin festival and the next is the fair, and then I go to Andalusia for a week, so I'd better rest while I can.

I love writing a little bit every day, but I do get too wordy.  I like to remember details of our lives though.  This morning on the way to school, I was praising the girls for being so helpful getting ready.  I said, "One day soon, you'll be dressing yourselves and even putting your own hair up and won't even need me."  Graysen said, "I will still want you to fix my hair when I'm a teenager."  I said, "Even when you go to college.  Do I go with you?"  She said, "Yes ......  What's college?"

No comments:

Post a Comment