Sunday, September 9, 2018

Another Favorite Kind of Day


View from the balcony.  It's cool and fresh-smelling and makes me want to take another cup of coffee and sit on the balcony and read.

I did water the few plants I have left.  I'll try to do better next year, but I just couldn't keep up with their need to be watered every day.

These are going to have a new batch of blossoms this week.  I can always depend on geraniums to come through for me.


I refilled the hummingbird feeder 
and birdfeeder yesterday, so maybe the birds will come and keep me company.  

We had a needy bird last week.  Elise noticed him first.  He was pretty close to the same size as the others - chickadees? I'm not sure - a little brown bird.  But he would stand on the balcony rail and squawk and squawk.  At least one other bird, maybe all of them, would feed him.  Just pick up a seed and put it in his mouth.  We thought maybe he was injured, but we did see him fly up to the birdfeeder and eat by himself.  So we're trying not to judge, but he seemed a little spoiled.

If we have the birdfeeder where we can enjoy it from the living room, the seeds and other stuff fall on the car parked below us, so I moved it to the side.  They do make a huge mess, but I love having them.

I'm cooking the salmon Emily brought over.  She says to cook 10 minutes at medium heat.  Medium?  I need numbers.  It's in for 10 minutes and 360 degrees, and then I'll broil it a few minutes.  We have a little salad and some raspberries in the refrigerator - plus that salsa - so that will make a nice lunch.  

Ten minutes was not enough.  She likes sushi, so I don't trust that 10 minutes.  I opened the packets she had fixed, and there is a slice of lemon, some capers, and fresh rosemary on each one.  Looks pretty.  I hope we like it.  It's going under the broiler, opened, for maybe 10 more minutes.

In the meantime, here are some ambitious books I checked out and are pretty close to being due back.  



Self-help because I always hope to improve something about my life.  Magnolia Table?  It's on the NYT Best Seller List, so it must be special.  It sounded interesting, and there are really pretty pictures.  I don't love cooking, so I'll probably just look at the pictures and see if there's anything interesting.  Just now when the timer for the salmon (in the oven) buzzed, I went over and opened the microwave and just looked blankly in there. 

I'm back, and the salmon was delicious.  I didn't like so much lemon and added some salt, but Elise and I both like it.  I like it when Meals on Wheels comes by.



We fed Stella the little that was left over, and she wasn't enthusiastic.  I saw her eat a caper but not much else.

Emily sent pictures this weekend of the girls.  Katherine in an Auburn dress that I bought from Shanna (Kathy's niece) before Graysen was born or when she was just a baby.  Caroline wore it - and she's now in sixth grade, I think - Graysen wore it two seasons, and now Katherine is wearing it.  War Eagle.


Emily is working on organizing clothing for the girls, which has to happen so often.  She was given this jumper a couple of years ago and always liked it and wanted to wear it, so now it finally fits.  I asked Emily if she felt 'dorable in it, and she said of course.


I may get roped into helping to organize this afternoon, and I'm sure I'll come home with some more ebay selling material.  

The girls enjoyed opening my fall bin in the garage Friday, and they had a fit over these "chick-munks" which are actually squirrels.


And this little lady.  There was once a man too, but I didn't see him.


That's probably about it for my "decorating."  I have my wreath on the door that no one but us and our one neighbor sees, but it makes me happy.  I'll put a pumpkin on the landing and get a nice chrysanthemum and call it fall decorating.

And I'm getting THIS for my birthday.  I'm more than a little bit excited about it.  Just looking at the schedule and all the events, I think we need to spend about three days there.  Emily says there's something called Fair Scones instead of  the funnel cakes that we're used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment