Monday, September 3, 2018

Labor Day - Such a Good Day

Best thing that happened was that I got to talk to my first best friend on the phone.  Debra and I have kept in touch usually only with a phone call a year or so and wishing each other a happy birthday in September.  Shameful after all the things we've shared through the years.  She was there when Emily was born and kept Gray and Elise when I was in the hospital.  Then she had her two boys, and moved out of the neighborhood.  We both worked at the school when the kids were little and ended up at the high school before we left Thomaston.

We never are at a loss for words.  Never.  Even if we hardly ever talk, we pick up where we left off.  We had a lot of catching up today since we haven't talked since we lost Mike and Bill.  We would plan to - but I don't think either of us were able to for a long time.

I can't even think of all the subjects we covered, but grandchildren was a biggie.  She has 2 grandsons and 2 granddaughters in the Atlanta area, and we schemed and planned on how she'll get out of Thomaston and move closer to them.  She's at least 6 years younger than me, so she's still working and just thinking about retiring so she has some time to plan.

Anyway, talking on the phone for 2+ hours this morning made me so happy and just gave me the best feeling all day.

I walked over to Steller, and Ryan made us a pot of coffee while we planned our back to school strategies.  We made a lot of progress there, and I feel good about the schedule.    I walked over there and back, and it's such a beautiful day.  Made me feel so good.

I forgot to take any pictures until I was almost home, but look at that sky.  Makes me so thankful to be alive.





We had a smaller version of this vine on our fence in Montgomery.  This thing is huge.  We just called it the Texas vine, since we got it on one of my trips to Lubbock.   I'll have to try to remember to walk by it in the summer when it has those red blooms on it.


I plan to finish my book tonight because it's due back tomorrow.  I tried sitting on the deck with a glass of tea but got too cold.

Last night, I thought I was in for the night, but I got a text from Emily saying, "We're here.  Do you want to go for yogurt?"  No hesitation.  "On my way down."  They were waiting at the corner, and it was a nice walk to the froyo place.  We got many combinations of flavors and topping.  I think Graysen won most original with her cotton candy ice cream with candy corn and Swedish fish toppings.  Makes my teeth hurt to think about it.  Ryan probably would have won with the number of toppings.  We sat at the sidewalk tables to eat, and there were lots and lots of people and bikes and stroller going past.  One guy looked over his shoulder and grinned and said, "Auburnnnn.  Good game."  Turns out he was a WSU fan who had seen Emily's Auburn shirt.  I can't keep them straight since I don't have a loyalty.  One is Cougars and the other Huskies.  We do have a friend who's starting this fall at udub, as they call it.

No comments:

Post a Comment