Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Katherine, the Ballerina



She looks like such a baby to be having to process all these new things during the past week.

She was very excited to put on her new tights and leotard for her first dance class. 


We left a little early so I would be sure to have time to get her shoes on and let her look around to find her cubby and maybe see some of the other little girls.  As we started to get out of the car, she said, "I don't really want you to leave me there, Mimi."  I told her that grownups weren't supposed to stay and that once she started dancing and having fun, she wouldn't even think about me.  She processed that a minute and said, "Okay.  But I might think about you a little bit."

She was pretty shy and wouldn't give anyone her name or say anything to anyone until a little girl came in with Paw Patrol shoes.  Instant perk-up!  "Mimi, look.  She has Paw Patrol shoes.  I see Skye.  I see Everest.  Look, Mimi."  The little girl was pleased for her to notice them and even stomped a couple of times to show that they lit up.  These are similar:Paw Patrol Girls Running Shoes - Toddler

That's a fancy shoe.  Emily didn't see much reason to buy any expensive ones this fall because she will wear boots to school every day and socks in the classroom and also because she has several of Graysen's old ones that fit.  But still.  Paw Patrol.  Glitter.  Skye.  PURPLE.  I'm filing that away for Christmas.  She had probably rather have those than a new toy.  And her sister has light-up shoes.

Anyway, when the teacher called for the girls to line up at the door, she ran off without a backward glance.  When class was over, Graysen and I were sitting in the waiting area talking to some of the mothers, and she ran up to us with red cheeks, so mad.  She stomped her foot and said, "I didn't get a Nutcracker paper."  The little piece of paper mentioning trying out for a part in the local Nutcracker production.  I said, "Graysen got one that you can look at."  She said indignantly, "I can't look at it because I'm not four!"  Some of the other girls in her class are already 4, so they got one.  Graysen's take on being in the Nutcracker.  "You can't be Clara until you're 7, but I don't want to be Clara because I would be scared of the mice."  I told her she might could be a mouse, and she considered that.  

I could get no information about what happened during Katherine's class.  She did show me a few positions they did.  I asked her about songs or games, just going on what Graysen's classes are like, and she said.  "Noooo."  Did you learn any little girls' names?"  "Nooooo."  And then she remembered that they made a circle and went round and round, and she showed me that, for a long time, and that's it.  That's about as much information as we get about school.  

I'm so proud of her, though.  Again, she's the baby, and it's hard to let her go out into the world.  The teachers at school labeled her cubby KATE, and she told them her name was Katherine.  I asked her which name she'd like to be called, and she said, "Kaffrin."  Such a long name to write though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment