Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Snow Can Go Away

I've enjoyed it enough.  Although I was glad not to have to get out in it, I got tired of being cold.  This place is not insulated well, and it was hard to keep all the rooms at a comfortable level.

Elise couldn't possibly have gotten my car out to drive to work this morning while hers is in the shop, so she called in, and they told her they were sending Uber for the ones who couldn't make it.  Ryan had offered to take her, though, so she caught a ride with him both ways.  She'll have to do Uber tomorrow.  So funny.  It's only about 5 blocks away.

I think we got another two inches of snow off and on during the day, and that's enough.  In one place this afternoon after the snow plow had been, it was up to Katherine's waist, and she just waded right in.  Ryan brought them over because it was Emily's long day.  I really wish she hadn't had to go in, but I think she was ready!

The girls and I made clay things for a while, ate some lunch, and read all our new library books.

One-eared koala.  She took a lot of time scalloping his ears just right.





Katherine cut out a bunch of leaves and wanted to make a bottle.  What kind of bottle, I asked, a baby bottle?  No, a cylinder, like a water bottle.  She even put a little straw in the top.  Now she wants me to bake all the little things she made.  I'm afraid they'll be nothing when I take them out of the oven, so I keep putting her off.

 Then I let them play with ABC Mouse and didn't feel guilty about screen time.  They have so much fun with it, and Graysen is a little teacher, picking out learning games for Katherine and helping her earn tickets to trade in for pets or furnish their rooms.



I worked hard on the sewing room during the day and then completely redid the top half of the little pantry in the kitchen.  I bought these and was really worried I wouldn't be gaining any space with them, but I'm pleased with them.  At least we know what we have on that bottom shelf.  We have two cans of coconut milk, and neither of us knows what we bought it for.

I should have a before picture to make this more impressive, but I forgot to take one.  Probably better I didn't.  Elise and I both think it makes things more visible, and maybe we won't duplicate so much.  I like the fact that it expands to fit the whole width of the area and holds even big cans.


I do have a sad before picture of the bottom half.  For someone who gave up flour and sugar, I sure have a lot of it.  I did some baking during the holidays, but I need to relocate most of it to give us more room.  The main use is for cat food and the crock pot plus a few vegetables and large baking dishes.  I'm not going to bother with all those matching canisters and cute labels.  I've learned what's in there if I ever need them.  They just need to be sorted through and organized.


Because of where I store my spices, I have to touch multiple jars to pick them up and find the right one.  That's probably why I have 3 jars of chili powder and 2 of oregano.  I try to keep them alphabetized, but somehow they end up all mixed up.


I thought I was so clever for finding these, and they would be great if spice jars had smooth tops.



Like these.  Which I rarely use.


Instead all the other brands have little busy ridged tops that self-stick labels cannot attach to.


They go on with this result.


And don't stick.

So before I abandon these or cut them smaller, I'm trying an experiment.  I pour a little Modge Podge onto the top of the lid until it reaches the level of the rim and let it spill over a little.  When it dries, there is a clear even surface to stick the label to.  I tried one, and it worked fine.  I also coat the whole label with Modge Podge for extra protection..


I don't see myself having the patience to do many of these but maybe the ones I use most often.  I can't imagine how nice it will be to pull this shelf out and see what I want at first glance.


That was earth-shattering, but it made me feel like I had done something useful today besides worry about the people on the roads.  About 2:00, there was a big snow dump on the interstate between where Emily works and home, and people were having a terrible time with no lanes and icy roads.  I called her and told her to come home now, but she said she was going to wait until it stopped and it got plowed.  And she did just that.  She got on at her regular quitting time and drove straight home with no problem in just a few minutes.  Shows how much I know.  I need to find my things that I put on the bottom of my shoes to walk on ice.  They're difficult to put on and look silly, but if I'm ever going to check my mail, I need to get out and walk a few feet.


More pictures.  Nothing new, just more of the same.  Somebody needs to thaw that hummingbird feeder.  We saw one come up and try to eat while we stood there.  And there's a little blue fleeting blue sky!







I'm counting on all this to be melted by the weekend.  I think we're going to get a few more inches before then though, so my whole apartment might get organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment