Thursday, January 9, 2020

Just Right Snow Day





I know we have another storm coming in a week or so, but this was a nice easy introduction to the pretty white flakes.

After I saw the picture of the girls playing outside last night, I looked out my window and saw some cars with a little snow on their windshields but not a significant amount.  Whenever I woke up during the night, I could hear rain and the temps were in the high 30s, so I didn't expect anything at all.

I texted Ryan and told him I was good to drive unless he thought there was ice anywhere, which he didn't, so I got bundled up and got the girls ready for school.  It's just about like herding cats to get everything on them and ready, except cats don't have to wear socks (two pair), gloves or mittens, hats/earmuffs and a warm coat plus have lunches and water bottles and book bags ready to go.

By the time we got outside, there was a good bit coming down, and it took a minute for them to dance around and be all excited.  Finally they were strapped in, minus those puffy coats, and jabbering about the snow.  I love it that they get so excited, and so do I.  It's really pretty, coming down so fast and covering the grass - but not sticking on the streets and making driving dangerous.





We heard about a new dropoff spot behind the school that is dropoff only and no parking and walking in, and it's much less stressful not to have to watch for kids and parents and dogs and bikes as you maneuver around near the Y.

There's my baby in the middle of the picture, so excited to be going to meet her friends.  I still can't get used to leaving her.







I think Katherine wins the prize for the tallest, biggest hat in the school today.  They have to be careful about pom poms and bows because of the goats, but she wanted this one today, and I don't blame her.  I think I might have worn won if I'd had it.


Kate and her BFF, sweet Makena.  We sign her in every morning so her au pair won't have to take her baby brother out of the car, and this makes both of them so happy.


James is always cool and not easily excited, except when one of his friends started Star Wars talk, and then both of them were gesturing and talking over each other.


One of the new puppies in the pre-K building decided to make a break for her freedom, but it didn't last long.  Just long enough to bounce through a couple of puddles.


Simple pleasures.  




It was a nice ride home and looked worse than it was.  I knew it would stop in a couple of hours.  I did stop by the library and get two new books.  I need to make sure if we get snowed in next week I have plenty to read.




And it did stop and was almost melted by 3:30 when I picked up Graysen.  She managed to find a few patches to play in and also a hole in the sidewalk to examine.





She remembered I had promised them we'd make cookies, so they did.  Katherine's are on the right - dainty, well thought out.  Graysen's, on the left, are for maximum sprinkles and not for looks.


I can't say enough about my Skechers furry boots.  They're so comfortable and have made such a difference in my attitude, just to have warm feet.  They're slipon with elastic too, which is nice not to have to fuss with them much.  I'm not sure they're available any more, but they've been perfect for me.

Skechers Performance Women's On The Go 400 Cozies Winter Boot,Black,7 M US

I haven't looked at the weather for tomorrow, but I don't think any snow is expected.  I'll get the girls to school, and then my long weekend will be here, and I don't care if there's a blizzard.  I might be in the majority of folks wishing for one.

Layla doesn't mind either.


No comments:

Post a Comment