Friday, January 10, 2020

Friday Gloom

Outside, that is.  Inside, we're just as cheerful as can be.

Our easy snow day turned into a yuck fest this morning.  Just rain on the Ridge and getting mixed with sleet and snow by the time we got to Rooster Valley.  Add wind and cold, and it was just not a good trip from the car and back.  The children were loving it, splashing in puddles and looking like little Pillsbury doughboys.  Katherine came home in somebody else's pants, so I think the mud puddles won in her case.

I'll confess this, but I wasn't happy about it at the time.  Today was Early Release Day - every Friday - and it looks like I would remember what time it was.  Emily, Ryan, and I all have trouble remembering that it's at 1:36.  Emily texted me about 12:15 that she would pick up Katherine at 3:15 and I wouldn't have to get out three times today.  I thanked her for that small favor and started bundling up for the walk to the school.  I could hear the rain pouring and the wind blowing, but it's just not worth it to drive two blocks and still have to walk two more anyway.  So I trudged on toward the school, feeling pretty warm and glad I would be inside to stay in just a few minutes.

But then I noticed that I didn't see any kindergarteners walking home or the rows of cars parked in front of the school or any signs of people at all.  It started dawning on me that maybe I had the time wrong.  I looked at my phone, and it was 12:36 exactly - the time I had it in my mind for the pickup time.  As it became clear to me that I had walked through the pouring rain for nothing, I was not happy.  I walked on past the school just like I was out for a walk and went home.

Needless to say, the second trip was horrible.  The wind had picked up, and there were drops of sleet hitting my face.  Ugh.  Even Graysen came out with her coat zipped up to her nose, asking if there was a short cut we could take.  Once again, we threw our coats and socks into the dryer when we got home and sat by the fire and read books.

Emily left the girls again while she went to yoga, and they were fine.  I was just ready for 5:00 and the beginning of my weekend.

I took no pictures today, but here are the ones from last night.

The tzatziki, which look like a delicious dessert but is really just yogurt and cucumbers with a few added ingredients.


It's good but not good enough to strain yogurt and grated cucumbers in cheesecloth.  If I ever make it again - and that's doubtful - I'll use the food processor.  Grating cucumbers with the peel on is not fun to do.

I tried it on my leftover salmon last night, and it was pretty good.   Then I served it today with hummus, pepperocinis, feta, and green onions with a few tomatoes and green peppers.  That was more like it, and I'll have that every day this week for lunch.   


And Layla again doing just what I'm about to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment