Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Easy Wednesday

It was easy except for being on the road, which is not always easy for me, but Elise handled all the traffic fine and is a good driver, so I pretty much enjoyed it.  I enjoyed being a passenger so I could see where I was going.  This is the road toward Maple Valley, but we took the interstate at the light.  We considered living in Maple Valley, but that road over Tiger Mountain is pretty rough, so I'm glad I don't have to face that a lot.


It was much too dreary a day for bothering with pictures.  This is Lake Washington with Mercer Island across the way.


We got back home and took Elise's car to a nearby shop to be checked out and then stopped to buy a few groceries.  It was so cold that we almost didn't, but we needed some fruit, and I wanted a cucumber and yogurt for tzatziki.

Best tzatziki recipe with pita bread and veggies on a marble table.

 I'm going to use it along with hummus for dipping my veggies.  I got some fresh dill too. I always plan to grow dill but forget.  I used a big bunch on the salmon I cooked tonight, and it was wonderful.  Dill, lemon juice, capers, a little bit of butter.  So good.  


 Katherine's class is studying K this week (she's pretty excited about that), and they drew and learned about king salmon today.  She was full of facts about egg sacs and smolt and fry.  Sometimes they will have a snack geared toward what they're studying, so I asked her about it.  She said, "Welllll, it was a kind of soup.  You'd have to ask Miss Tahvia.  It has chunks of king salmon in it, and it's so good.  I can't think of what its name is."  I said, "Did it sound like chowder?" and her face lit up.  "YES, chowder!"  I really can't imagine what we're talking about here.  



Lots of talk about the snow, but I don't think it's coming.  Graysen said she had snow in her hair at recess, so there may have been some flurries.  If these people could wish it into being, there would already be a blizzard.  Right now, it's nothing but a flurry or two but look out next week.  

This winter seems so much easier for me because I think I've finally embraced it.  I never even had a coat before we moved here, so I would just put on a raincoat or jacket and somehow be surprised every time at how cold I was.  Now when I'm out more than a few minutes, I start on the bottom layers and do the silk thermals, two pairs of socks, an extra shirt or two and my fur-lined boots.  I do have a good lined coat that I bought to leave up here for visits, and I enjoyed bundling up in that today.    My new leather gloves from Emily and Ryan with the fingertips for phone scrolling, a couple of fluffy scarves, and my earmuffs, and I'm all set.  I might add a hat.  I've never been a hat person, but it might happen this year.  Maybe a ski mask!  Good news though.  If I fall down, I might just bounce right back up.  Or start rolling.

It's been a good day.  I got to see the girls for only about an hour while Emily went to her yoga class, and they were pretty upset that they had to go home.  I had to promise them something exciting for tomorrow afternoon.  I'm not sure what that will be, but I'd better get started thinking about it.  Homemade cookies (magically already in a roll in the refrigerator)?  Paints again?  I guess I'll play mah-jong tomorrow afternoon, but I'd much rather stay home by the fire and nap.  

Coming back a couple of hours later to admit I was wrong.


I wonder if this qualifies for enough snow for me to act pitiful and have Ryan do the school run in the morning.  Emily and I are discussing black ice!

It's not even supposed to dip below freezing until Sunday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment