Monday, January 27, 2020

Stay at Home Weekend



My usual weekend, just the way I like it.

The Win-Bins went tubing, which I approved of but wanted no part of.  I see nothing fun in what Katherine described as, "I wanted to scream, but I couldn't because the snow was hitting me in the face."  I can't think of anything I had rather NOT be doing, but I'm glad they had fun.

I did very little housework but worked on a quilt for a little bit.  I worked the NYT crossword puzzle all the way for the first time in my life.  I only had to look up the last word, because I didn't want to guess.  I'm sure Mike would be shaking his head at me, but I'm proud of myself!  It's not pretty, but I can't use a pencil, so mistakes are hard to correct.



I finished one book, which was better than it started out.  I enjoyed the writing more than the subject matter, so I'll see if he's written anything else interesting.



I couldn't make it through The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin or In the Midst of Winter by Isabel Allende.  I think I would have read more of the latter if I hadn't had 3 or 4 new ones waiting for me.

The girls came over for a few hours this afternoon since Graysen didn't have school (and Katherine didn't go), and we walked to the library.  We actually saw sunshine this morning, and Elise opened all the blinds, which cheered us up a good bit.  It was still brisk and a little chilly, but we had a fun walk and got a heavy bag of books to bring home.  These girls are at such a good age now.  I think I've said that a lot lately.  They're cheerful and chatty and still innocent enough for a good bit of imagination and adventure on our walks.  We named the trees in my parking lot today.

I had requested 5 books for them and 3 for me.  We read the first chapter of Judy Moody and the Right Royal Tea Party.  Graysen loved it more than Katherine, but Katherine hung in there.  Gray's teacher has been reading these books to the class, and I wanted to see what they were all about.  We thought the first chapter was hilarious, or maybe we were just in a silly mood.  Then we played a guesssing game with Katherine with her alphabet puzzle, and there was more laughter.  We then read Dragons Love Tacos, which they loved - but not enough to request tacos for dinner.  They ate little pizzas, mac and cheese, broccoli, and grapes for lunch, followed by a raisin bagel.  I doubt they'll be hungry too soon.

By the time Emily picked them up - about 4:00 - the wind had started blowing like crazy again, and it was colder.  I was glad to come in, get a cup of tea, and start my book, This One is Mine by Maria Semple.  I've liked two of her books so far, so maybe the third one will be good.

Emily sent me this picture just now of the girls painting at home.  What a perfect place Emily and Ryan have made upstairs for the girls.  A bedroom, a playroom, and a big room for their desks and craft table.  Lucky little girls.


I would frame this if someone gave it to me as a gift!


We're going to have to figure out something to do with these cats!  Ever since Bowie has become social, he and Layla are constantly running up and down the hall at night and knocking things off the counter in the bathroom and just being cats.  The only problem is that Elise has to be at work at 6:00 in the morning and needs to get to sleep early.  That means we need to separate them and hope they'll learn to sleep at night instead of all day.  Bowie is in Elise's room, and Layla is in the hall, and they're mutter-purring at each other and sticking their paws under the door.


It may be a long night for me.  That's a yawn!


My amaryllis is just about to burst into bloom.



It's back to the routine tomorrow, and we have 6 days of rain forecast.  Fun, fun, fun.  And then I see snow by the first of next week, but hopefully it won't stick.  This sunshine has made me ready to start thinking about spring.  I can think all I want to, but it's a long way away.

No comments:

Post a Comment