Tuesday, November 1, 2022

A Necessary Break

 Well, it's been a while!  I missed August, September, and October.  After getting used to NOT writing, it became something I didn't think about, and I just didn't.  Sometimes, I would think, "I'm going to regret not capturing this, because I know we won't remember it."  But I never felt bad enough to actually open my computer and do it.

I did get a new computer, and it is lovely.  It's similar to my last one, but this is an HP.  I went away from Dell this time, but I still got an 18-inch screen.  I doubt my eyes are going to get any better, so the bigger the better.  Since I've abandoned my TV, if I ever want to watch a movie or YouTube thing, this is the way to go.  I never watch movies though.  I'm still constantly listening to audio books on my phone though, and I'll have to try to compile a list of ones I've liked and not liked.  Right now, I'm reading Fairy Tale, Stephen King's latest book.  I like the way he writes, but I don't always like his subjects.  This is interesting, but I think the part I'm in is going to go on way too long for me to enjoy!

So---We had Halloween.  It didn't affect me much.  The only trick-or-treaters were Graysen and Katherine.  I was afraid someone would stop, so I went and bought a bag of candy.  They took a good share, and I put the rest in the freezer.  I purposely bought the kinds I don't like!

Emily and Ryan are fun parents, and they enjoy Halloween about as much as the girls.  They started out with Halloween pillows in the swing, a few lights, and a black wreath.  Every time I went over there, there was something orange and green and purple, flashing lights, crows, scary cats, spider webs.  The whole works.  I have to admit that it was impressive!

I'll just post a bunch of pictures without too much comment.  

First, my half-hearted attempt to celebrate fall on the front porch, although by the time I got it this way, we needed quilts to wrap up in at night.


I can't do anything about those boxwoods, and the ferns were down temporarily to catch the watering from the sprinkler that comes on every night.  I think the temperature is dipping down into the 30s this week, so I'd better make plans to bring some of the things inside or into the garage.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but Elise is slowly moving into her apartment, and I'm getting a garage for the first time since I've been up here.  It's always been a storage room for anything people don't have room for.  I just might be able to park in there this winter.  

More Halloween and fall pictures in no certain order. And a few scenes from Mimi's House.  


They do love to make their "potions," and I don't mind the mess it makes.  They mostly clean it up!







The garden went out in a blaze of glory.







Katherine grew this pumpkin from a seed grown in their second-grade classroom.


More potions.






Both front teeth out for a jack-o-lantern smile!


I admired this dish towel in the Swedish Hospital gift shop, and Emily b ought it for me.  Too cute to use!


I found these purple cabbage plants at Safeway, and they have been pretty on the porch this fall.








I was not going to bother decorating this hutch since it's always full of "stuff," but I sat this pumpkin up on a shelf and hung an extra wreath on the coat rack, and it had a little bit of a fall vibe when you count Elise's dead bouquet and the colorful art carousel.


We can't remember how many years we've had these placemats or where I bought them, but they're still my favorites.  Elise couldn't resist coming home with little pumpkins to fill up the bowl.


A little sample of Clay Saturday at the Win-Bin house.  They're getting quite good at it.



Speaking of good, Emily has become quite a Dahlia Grower.  They're just now come into their own and are so pretty.  



















The foliage was late turning colors this year and didn't put on the show it did last year, but there are areas of breath-taking beauty, especially when you're out driving and can't take pictures.  These are on my block.





I'll have to dig up some pictures of soccer, ice-skating, and my birthday trip to Mt Rainier, but I've run out of time today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment