Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Good-bye Phone

 I had become over-confident about watching my phone.  It's such a part of me that I stick it in every pocket and carry it around with me.  Sad!  This morning I was feeding the cats and had it in my pants pocket - the soft and baggy pants that are so nice to wear around the house.  Unfortunately, the pocket is not very secure, and it slipped out on the laundry room floor.  It made a louder sound than usual.  I have always trusted my cover.  I guess it is still the Otter - don't really know.  But I do know I've dropped my phones a LOT and never broken one.

I could still hear sound, but the screen was black.  I fiddled with it, thinking one of the buttons had jammed, but I could sometimes get a flash of light, others times blackness.  That meant no way to make phone calls or even answer them.  Lately, Emily has been getting impatient with my letting my battery die and her not being able to get in touch with me.  Even Noreen was worried one day when I didn't answer texts for a long time.  I'm not complaining.  I like to know people are looking after me, but I just get into my own little world and forget to charge that phone.

Of course, the first thing to do was call Ryan who stopped by and picked it up on the way home from taking the girls to school.  If he can't fix it, he'll see that I get a new one - or newer one.  I sure don't mind getting second-hand ones, as long as they are reliable.   Oh, I was able to call their house with the Duo thing - so nice.  Graysen answered - such a sweet big girl.  She went and told her dad about it and we talked a few minutes. 

I then had to figure out how to tell Noreen why I would be not sending texts or calling for a couple of days.  There is a Message deal on Facebook that I figured she would see, but on my new computer, it just didn't look the same.  I could find her name but not a place to write my message.  So frustrating.  I did manage to call her from my computer, but I have no idea what that looked or sounded like.  She wasn't able to answer but was aware I was alive.

I was about to get on my coat and head over to leave her a note on her door when she came walking past the window all ready for the day - on the way to PT.  We managed to exchange email addresses - can't believe we don't have those already - so we can keep up with each other.  It's not the same though.  I used to hate texting, but now I depend on it.

I decided not to get my hair cut, because you have to make the appointment and then check by phone to see when to head over there.  

I can't say what I did all day.  I started slowly on picking up all things orange and fall-themed and put them in the garage.  I just realized I still have my fall wreath on the door though.  I brought in a few things slowly and started thinking about where to put everything.  Then I wrapped a few gifts for the girls.  Books and games don't make very big or exciting-looking gifts.  Most of the other things are for their new American Girl dolls and will also be small and simple packages.  I guess the biggest boxes I'll have are for the kitten and puppy.

I got this for the kitten after studying a lot of cat toys on Amazon.


Sadly, I just noticed this pink one after I had ordered a green one.  It was hard to decide.  With a new puppy too, he'll be picking up and chewing things, so I wanted to avoid little things like the spirals that look like so much fun, and little mice and catnip things.  I'd hate to think what would happen if a puppy swallowed those.  Anyway, this runs on batteries, and there is a mouse that runs underneath and over the top at various speeds and should be fun.  Who knows though?  This baby kitten might never be left alone long enough to play by himself.

The puppy I haven't even seen a picture of, but he's going to be pretty big one day, I think. 

It's a French breed, Barbet.  I think all that hair is going to drive me crazy.  I chase the girls around with a hairbrush a lot, and I guess I'll do it with this puppy.  I'm not sure what color he is.  All I know is that he's very child friendly and doesn't shed.


 I found these chew toys without stuffing.  I know Darby loved to tear off a toy's ear or make a tear and pull out the stuffing.


I'm sure both babies will have tons of toys, but I thought these were just weird enough to be cute.  They also have embroidered eyes, so that's one more thing not to swallow.  I'm not sure about the squeakers.  What a madhouse Christmas is going to be.  I'm going to go over there and sit in the midst of it and just enjoy.  Until I can't any more, and then I'll come home!

I wanted to include the train ride in today's post, but it's not easy to get pictures without my little routine of getting them from the phone.  

I sent this picture to Emily last night, and it made us sad, but this girl is going to have to conquer her fears and bothers by herself in spite of our wanting to hover and make everything all better.  Her feelings are very real to her, not just a funny "scared of Santa Claus" things.


I don't think she was that worried about there being a Santa on the train at that point.  She was just extra aware of where he was and didn't want to get into a situation of having to have a conversation with him.  She has gotten quieter and more reflective lately.  I guess that comes with the age.  Her mother never got quiet and reflective much.  She was busy being festive in this picture - running around the train, laughing with people, singing along with Santa, and getting the most possible out of that outing.


Katherine was very interested in the decor, especially the stained glass windows.  She pointed those out in the old depot before we left and was thrilled to find them on the train windows.  They've done a great job preserving this train.


These are the people across the aisle, just to get a good view of the stained glass.  The Falls was there too, but I couldn't capture it.


I'll do some more tomorrow and maybe a video if I can figure it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment