Sunday, November 20, 2022

Weekend Before Thanksgiving

Saturday was unremarkable.  If the kids are not involved, nothing much happens in my life.  Or I try to keep it that way!  I'm not sure how I passed my time, but I did just what I wanted to.  Emily and I texted back and forth about Christmas gifts.  I have somewhat of a list today.  

The next three days, I will pick them up from school at 12:30, and we'll have a nice long afternoon without interruption since ice-skating is cancelled this week and soccer is over for the year.  They want to learn to crochet, but I haven't found any yarn in the sewing room or garage.  I think Emily took a big bin of it to her house, so I'm asking her to send some back.  I'm a little worried that I can't teach Graysen since she is left-handed, but I'm sure there are videos on the computer that will help us.  

I'm sure we'll do a little school work - not much - and hopefully clean out a toy area and give away or throw away things.

I still don't hear anything about a Thanksgiving meal.  Maybe because Emily is sick today and can't think about it.  I think I enjoyed their Brussels sprouts last year.  I really, really tried to go the vegan or at least vegetarian route, but it was too hard for me.  I admire their family for sticking to it so long.  The girls don't seem to have any trouble now that they can have dairy and eggs.  Sometimes Katherine really wants a cheeseburger but not Gray.  Its hard to find things they like.  I got a grade of 2 on some dish I prepared for them last week.  Even the pineapple pizza they didn't like.  Good grief.  I'm going to have to find some better recipes.  The did love my cranberry bread, so I have a mini loaf apiece for them to eat tomorrow along with PB&J and mac & cheese and fruit.

Speaking of cranberry bread, I had an impromptu coffee visit from Noreen and Mary.  Mary was going to come over at 9:00, and I asked Noreen if she wanted to come too.  They know each other but don't get together much.  I usually see them separately.  They brought their own beverages, and I served a slice of cranberry bread, and it was so nice.  We laugh at ourselves for starting off with our various orthopedic surgeries and share various PT stories and exercises, then progress to grandchildren, especially the things they say about us:  "When I was 3, I used to think you were pretty."  "What do you think about me now."  Long pause.  "I like your earrings."  There are 8 of them, so we usually have some stories to tell.  Our oldest ones all know each other from school.  

I have one picture from today, or maybe yesterday because of the sweatshirt.  Katherine had another accident where she hit her new front teeth on a chair.  With all the blood and crying and panic, I figured Graysen had been upset too.  I asked her about it, and she said, "Katherine was trying to kick me.  That's why she fell off her desk chair."  K said, "Yeah, Graysen hit me, and I was trying to kick her, and my foot just slid out from under me, and I fell."  They love to tell stories of their battle scars.


This cuddly ball of fur is coming to Steller Way soon along with a puppy.  Happy days!


I can't wait to hold him, but I might not get a chance if Katherine is around.  I can't see her ever putting him down.  They didn't plan to get a kitten and puppy at the same time, but there kept being holdups on litters being born or other things, getting to know the breeders, and all of a sudden they're both going to be ready at the same time - two days before Christmas.  I can't even....  I don't have a picture of the puppy.  He's a breed I had never heard of, but I think he's one of the curly long-legged ones that are so cute.  

They tried getting a kitten for the girls a couple of years ago from a shelter, but they picked wrong. Luna means well, but she doesn't like children!  She doesn't even like to be in the house with their noise and shrieks and running.  She allows herself to be picked up outside and petted some but much prefers being a loner.  She has a heated little igloo-like cave, and most of the winter is spent curled up in there or growling at the next-door cats and stalking bunnies.  She seems content, and I hope she is.  My cats don't like the girls either, so Emily and Ryan decided to invest in a known "sweet and patient" breed, the Ragdoll.  I know this one is cute and bouncy and cuddly from his videos.  Keeping our fingers crossed he gets along with his new puppy brother.  

I get nothing done when I start writing here.  I had planned to do several things when I sat down with the computer, but now I can't remember any of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment