Saturday, November 19, 2022

One Cold Week Almost Over

 It's hard not to want to just mark off the days of winter lately.  I've done plenty, but I just haven't been in the best of moods.  The sun will be shining all day, but as soon as I step outside to go to the school, that wind starts blowing around the corner to freeze my face, and clouds all of a sudden appear.  The snow on the mountains doesn't help the feeling of being frigid. 

I would enjoy cooking if I didn't have to go to the grocery store.  I would enjoy walking if the wind would die down.  I would enjoy visiting with friends if I didn't have to get dressed and go out.  Noreen and I did have such a fun visit the other day.  I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but just walking next door with a cup of coffee and getting greeted with a smile was enough to make the rest of my day good.  It wasn't enough to make me want to go with her different places this week.  I know I would enjoy these little trips out, but somehow I can't muster up the energy.  Nothing seems to be wrong with my labs, and I'm taking my meds and eating fairly well. Nothing suits me better than checking out all the things I like to read on the computer, playing a game of Scrabble with the computer, having that one good cup of coffee every morning, doing minimal housework.  Then I just want to close my eyes and drift away.  Definitely something wrong there, but no one seems to know the answer.

On Fridays, school is early release at 1:30, but for the next 4 school days, we're having early, early release at 12:30 for teacher conferences.  On Friday mornings, Graysen has recorder lessons 30 minutes before school starts.  I can hear those recorders in my mind right now!  Ryan drops Katherine off at my house, and I walk her to school 25 minutes later for breakfast, a real treat for them on those Fridays.  This morning he texted and said there was something they needed to do at home, and he would take her to school.  Somehow it made me sad, because what could be so serious that it had to be done before school?  Cleaning her room?  Hardly!  It makes me feel bad when they do, so I don't like to know about it!  Thank goodness they're usually happy kids.

I found out later that there was a unicorn emergency to be fixed.  Katherine won a trio of unicorns, which were llamas with glued-on glittery horns, for getting a Cub Card for outstanding kindness/ responsibility/helping, etc.  You'd think they were the best thing EVER.


I'm not sure if she was going to give some to friends or just have them admire them, but it was a major setback when one of the horns fell off.  Ryan took her back home for 20 minutes where she made a unicorn horn from clay, rolled it in glitter, and glued it back on.  Good as new!  From this picture, it looks like the blue one had the accident, but it looks better than ever.  They're crafty people over there! I'm so glad Ryan understand how important it was for that unicorn to have his horn today.

The three girls walked home and then had a couple of hours to play before Emily and Ryan came to get them to go pick out their Christmas tree.  Graysen told me later when she called me about some matter that the tree was outside because, with all the remodeling they're doing, there is no place to put it this year.  I wonder what they expected!  It will be fun to get all involved in their Christmas celebrations.  

I was asleep early, and Graysen called me about an embroidery I had done on Fourth of July shirts at least two years ago.  She remembered that I had printed out the design on paper, and that's what she wanted - the design.  I have no idea why, but I'll do my best.  My designs are on my old computer, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.  The things they store up inside their little minds!  I hope prime and composite numbers stick during our week off.  

I'm not sure what the weekend will bring.  Or what we'll do for Thanksgiving.  I'll make anything I'm asked - within reason - but there won't be a turkey for sure.  Or any meat.  And very little dairy.  I'll sneak some dressing into my home menu.  I don't think we liked the vegan version last year.  Who knows what we'll decide on, but I know it will be good - and fun.  

My only event today at home was that my coffeemaker refused to work, and my little kitchen counter  lamp was dark.  I went and poked around the breaker box for a couple of minutes with no results and then put in a maintenance request.  We have a wonderful young maintenance manager, Chris, and he called within an hour and said he was putting me first on his list.  I walk along with his wife and little girl and dog Xerxes some days to and from school.  Such a sweet family.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he stays long term.  He's knowledgeable about the repairs and as cheerful as can be.  That helps a lot and makes me realize this is the place for me where I can just pretty much snap my fingers and have someone show up and fix what's bothering me.  Most things.  I'm too embarrassed to tell him about my vacuum cleaner clog.  That's going to take a little maintenance on my part to find the problem.

That's about all the boring stuff I can find to write about.  I see a couple of 60-degree days around Thanksgiving so that should cheer me up!  I slept from around 5 pm to 9:30 with only  3 disruptions.  I've gotten used to sleeping with my bedroom door closed since Elise moved, and the cats can't stand for there to be a closed door in the house.  Layla was lying on the cat tower watching me get in bed, find just the right pillow and covers, and close my eyes.  Then she decided it was time to yell for me to open the door and let her out in case she needed to eat something.  Then Elise came by to borrow something.  Then finally Graysen called from her phone and woke me up for the third time.  I think I slept another few hours, but now I'm up at 3:30, my usual time, with plenty of time to do what I want to.  It's my new normal.  I'm working on it, but it's going to take staying up a little later!


No comments:

Post a Comment