Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Sick Days

 Oh, boy!  It's beginning.  Flu and cold season.  I've been vaccinated for pretty much everything this fall - Covid 3rd dose, flu, pneumonia, and the first shingles - but still here I sit with a runny nose and sore throat.  As long as the family brings home things from school and work, I'll pick them up.

Katherine met outside school yesterday afternoon saying she didn't feel good and didn't want to go ice skating.  That's unusual for her, because she loves that.  A few minutes later, Graysen came out almost in tears saying she had a headache and felt sick.  Her math teacher was there to take her to Mathnasium, but she was in such a sad state, we decided to give her a break.  So we walked home, had a cup of hot chocolate and finished up our last Clementine book.  Graysen didn't even eat a snack but lay down and acted like she was going to sleep.  She finally said she wanted to go home, so I took them, and Emily said she took some Tylenol, went to sleep, and woke up 3 hours later feeling a little better.

Today I have Graysen who still feels bad, but Katherine had to go back to school and was not happy about it.  I'm not sure what we'll do all day.  We've already tried to get a reaction from the cats to a cucumber on the floor, but they ignored it.  Bowie enjoyed a nice fire for a while until he got too warm.


He does have the sweetest face.  I wonder in his other life how someone could have let him be out in the cold and scared and injured.  He wants for nothing now!  He sleeps beside me but still won't let me pick up up and hold him more than just a few seconds.


Graysen has to do 10-minutes bouts of math during the day.  We reviewed multiplying by thousands with  0s, which she showed that she knew very well.  We'll do this until we catch up to what they're covering in class today.  She really does not care for that at all.  I may have to find some bribes.  


Speaking of ice-skating, they girls have lessons every Tuesday after school at the rink near us.  I've taken them and watched a couple of times and was impressed at how relaxed they seem.  They're learning new skills that I don't know anything about, but they involve hand and arm motions and lifting one foot and spinning a little.  I can't get good pictures because I'm up on a mezzanine with glass and a net thing between us and the ice.  I'll try to get some videos on here too.

The place is teeming in the afternoons.  There are several ice-skating lessons going on as well as hockey off-the-ice activities, and I'm not sure what else people are doing.  Katherine is lucky enough to have her best friend Luka taking lessons too.



Luka in the green helmet and Katherine in the pink one.


Graysen in the pink helmet.





The girls found a feather maybe from PopPop, and Katherine made a pretty label for it.



It's time for another math lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment