Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Wind and Rain

 I love weather like this - just pouring rain and big gusts of wind that start all the wind chimes around here ringing.  It's all good when I'm warm and cozy in the house, but when the wind gusts send the garbage cans rolling up and down the alley, it stops being fun.  

I played Mah-Jong with my Tuesday morning group, and I could hear them banging around, so as soon as we finished, I went and put them up and brought in the mail.  Now it's too cold to even leave the door open to the balcony.

I got a few pictures today of the girls, and they called me as soon as school was out.


I had to find out what they did in school today - mainly shrugs - and see Katherine's art work.



We even hooked Mom in on the reading of The Big Pumpkin.



Somebody forgot to give me a treat!

The Big Pumpkin is one of our favorite books, and this musical version is so cute.  

I had taken the library books to their house, and all I had left were some rejects from the surprise bag that I picked up last week.  There was a huge book of dinosaurs.  Rejected.  This is one that might be tolerated if we were sitting side by side and had no distractions but kind of hard holding it up to the Duo.




 A Star Wars comic-book-style book with no words.  Rejected. I didn't quite know how to read this, all the sounds.  I wasn't feeling the Plurp-Plup-Plup mood.


 They settled for a Scooby-Doo Choose Your Own Adventure.  That did keep them interested a pretty good while - at least until I got tired of reading in a Scooby-Doo voice.  Rut-Ro!


These are certainly not ones we would have chosen, so I need to put in a few requests to be picked up.  I saw an email just now - but didn't read it - about extended library hours, so maybe that will be happening.  More than likely just curb pickup though.

They're just the sweetest, and I really miss them.  They were pleased to see the Mama Cats and Kittens that I had finished for them and immediately started bargaining over who got the pink one and who got the blue one.  I knew that would happen! If there's one pink object in the group, that's the one they both want.


I mixed up the kittens, though, so the blue mama has a pink kitten and vice-versa.


Such a simple project but so cute.  

The mermaid was completely finished, and they loved it so much.  I was surprised after Graysen worried about a mermaid with legs.  "She's beau-ti-ful.  Oh, look at her tail.  Can I see her without the tail?"
 




And that wraps up a Tuesday.  Not a complete waste.  I do seem to have bought an air fryer though!

Yesterday I read something that made me think I would like a small convection oven for my roasted veggies and salmon and chicken pieces, and I started reading about them.  I watched a few YouTube videos and was surprised at how many things could be accomplished with one and how seemingly easy it would be to "grill" a steak or sausage.  Turning on the oven and opening the door to the oven are too much like cooking for me.

I asked Emily if they had one or had considered one, and she said it was just one more "thing" but that she wouldn't rule it out down the line.  I now remember how I heard about it.  Susan's blog, Between Naps on the Porch.  Again!!  I'm tempted to spend more money after reading her recommendations but do appreciate the honest assessment.

Actually, I just went to Amazon to check out the one featured and decided I didn't need one that big so looked for the smaller version and saw that this very one was on sale at walmart.com with free shipping.  And my Chase credit card rewards this quarter include Wal-Mart.  It was looking like a good price, but I was not sold that I needed one.  I went to my Chase account to verify the rewards for this quarter and came back to find a "Thanks for your purchase" from Wal-Mart.  I immediately cancelled it and saw that it was acknowledged.  I wanted to think about it a little longer.

Then this morning I saw an email from Wal-Mart saying my air fryer had shipped and would be here in a few days.  I'll have to really hate it to go through the trouble of sending it back, so let's hope I like it!  Let's also hope that boredom and needing to try something new won't keep me making crazy purchases.  I deserve something just for myself sometimes, even if it is a kitchen appliance!

Maybe it's trying to keep my mind off the election chaos and all that stupidity.  The plot against the Governor of Michigan! It's horrifying but also not surprising, seeing who these thugs have for a role model.  Also disappointed to see all the changes trying to be made to interfere with the election.  I hope this spurs people on to get out more than ever and try to make a change before it's too late.



No comments:

Post a Comment