Thursday, October 8, 2020

Taking it Slowly

 I took a pajama day yesterday and enjoyed it so much.  I can't even remember what I did, but it was very pleasant.  I did as little housework as possible, almost no meal preparation - grits and eggs for breakfast, hummus, tzatziki and veggies for lunch, and I don't even remember what I ate last night - oh, a bowl of cereal and half a baked sweet potato.  

I had some nice conversations with some nice people, emails, phone, text, Facebook, you name it.  I even answered a friend with a handwritten (scrawled) note because I don't have her email address!  

I started reading Greenwood by Michael Christie, and it's going to be quite interesting even though I'm not used to holding a book any more. 


 The subject is timely, and although it will be slow reading, I think it will be something everyone needs to think about.  Climate change and global warming.  The story starts in 2038 after the "Withering" when trees have pretty much gone, and the people who didn't perish from lack of oxygen and endemic tuberculosis live in climate-controlled towers.  Flashbacks to the 1970s and the early 2000s tell the story of how things came to this point.  I hope I can sustain my interest in it.  

For the times when I need to multi-task, I have an audio book downloaded, a lighter one than the one above.  


I feel like I've read it before but certainly haven't listened to it.  The reader, Dan Stevens, has an easy-to-listen-to British accent and is going to keep my interest I can tell.  Ten strangers lured to an island mansion where they die one by one.  Sounds lovely!  And just about the opposite of the first one.

I forgot about the debate last night and really have just about lost my appetite for this stuff, but I did remember in time to see the last couple of questions.  I missed the Pence fly though.  

And who won the debate?  Just going through opinion articles and news articles of reputable (not fake) news sources, the overall consensus is America won. I saw a few Facebook posts excitedly declaring Pence the winner and gloating over it, but I'm not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion.  Oh, yeah, Trump's Twitter.  They both did what they needed to.  Each had a few false or exaggerated statements.  Each hesitated on a policy matter or two.  But both were respectful of the other and dignified and showed that they knew what they were talking about. 

It was refreshing after what happened in the other debate where one person refused to let the other talk, refused to condemn white supremacy, and just did his usual thing, tell a bunch of lies and act like a hideous child. 

America won because we can see a glimpse of how things SHOULD be done - with respect for others and education about topics.  We can remember when political adversaries could carry on a normal conversation and actually get work done.  Now we have a leader who can't take away from his twitter tirades and name-calling to actually work or discuss matters with colleagues.  We have a leader who openly says he will favor the state and local governments of the states whose people vote for him and punish the ones who don't. One who has avoided paying taxes and hiding it. 

The Covid thing will work itself out, I guess.  I'm afraid it's been allowed to go too far though, and it looks like a dangerous time for our country when the White House is pretty much empty.  The president putting his staff and workers in danger by taking a joyride and then doing the little mask-off joke just for the sake of publicity makes me wonder why anyone could think he is a capable leader.  

I refuse to let it bring me down today.  It might not be a sunshiny day, but it's pretty and cool and a little windy.

I got this little item checked off my list.  I had to make an appointment and had a little wait anyway, but it was all good.

I needed a few more groceries - it never ends - and Emily needed some things, so I went next door to Safeway.


She needed apple cider and a few more things that I had to keep texting back and forth about.  Buying groceries for others is tricky.  One bottle of wine or 2?  Organic cider or cheapo?




No real choice there, according to Emily. 


Steller Way is so pretty.


And so is our street.


Alley is not much, but it's home! My balcony is right above the white truck on the right, and Noreen's porch is behind the white truck on the left, so really close for spontaneous visits.


I got just a glimpse of my babies, but we're taking distancing a little more seriously this week.


I got a few library books to read to them later, but it's just not the same as in-person visiting.  

This is my project for the weekend.  Pumpkin bread!  I gave the maintenance guys some last year, and they haven't forgotten, and one of them has a birthday the 16th, so I'd better start baking.  I saw the manager out walking Monday, and she mentioned it too since I had gifted them a few loaves too.  

This place is going to smell really good soon.

I took a walk back over to Steller late this afternoon to take the girls' things.  Such a nice day.  I saw two bunnies and lots of tomatoes.



 
 I wonder why these people are not picking the tomatoes.  I opened the gate and got ours and was tempted to just take a few more.



I've asked if this is "the pumpkin" but haven't received an answer.  It's not a tomato, but it could be one of the crazy squashes that keep appearing.  I'm not sure that vine is healthy enough to keep it going.


We're going to have a big weather thing happening starting tomorrow night - lots of rain and wind and maybe even a thunderstorm.  Sounds cozy


No comments:

Post a Comment