Monday, October 26, 2020

Forgettable Weekend

 It seems like when bad or sad things happen, they happen in batches, and this weekend was no exception.  I'm not going to go into detail about anything, because it's either not my story to tell or not interesting enough.  

My main problem with the weekend is losing Layla.  It's the biggest mystery ever, and we still can't figure it out.  The last time I saw her was Saturday, and she and Bowie were playing with my headphones cord and then sleeping pretty hard.  About bedtime I realized I had not seen her for several hours, but that's not unusual for cats.

I did a search for her, rattled food, looked on the balcony, looked in her usual sleeping places, but no kitty.  Sometimes on cooler days, I'll leave just enough space for them to go out on to the balcony and watch for hummingbirds, but Saturday was cold enough that I couldn't leave it open even that much.  I worry now that I closed it and left Layla out there, but when I've done that before, Bowie will usually run and tell me.  Even if I did, I'm not sure she would have jumped that far, and there's nowhere to go but the ceiling other than down.  If she fell, she survived but is not there now.

It was so cold Saturday that I stayed inside all day long, only opening the door briefly for a computer charger than Ryan left at my door and some puzzles that my neighbor had returned.  Both times, I just reached out quickly and brought them in and didn't see Layla go out.  She's not one to run out past you and run away.  Sometimes if the door is left open, she will go out on the landing or even to the bottom of the stairs in a fake-brave way but then runs right back in.

So, there's the mystery.  We've searched every corner of the apartment.  Emily and Ryan stopped by this morning and looked also.  

I had posted a Missing Cat bulletin and her picture on the Snoqualmie Community FB page and also joined the Lost Animals of Snoqualmie and received many condolences and concern and interest but no real leads.

A really nice guy, Mike, came over and brought a humane trap and helped me set it up.  He was so concerned and left to go looking in the little ravine near our apartments.  I checked the trap - with a bowl of food in it - about 3 hours after we set it, and it was tripped but no Layla.  It has a really quick trigger, so she (or another animal) may have bumped up against it and closed it.  Mike said I could keep it as long as I wanted.  He once caught a cat after 3 weeks, so there's still hope.  We're just not sure how she might have gotten out.

Bowie is just the saddest.  He will sit and cry at the door for her.  I didn't even know he had a voice!  I've spent some extra time playing with him today.  Poor baby.  He's never been alone since we got him, and before that he was in a rescue place with other animals.  

Emily laminated some signs for me, and she and the girls put them around the neighborhood.  I hope I feel better tomorrow, but I'm completely emotionally and physically drained today.  


As I took my last walk around the neighborhood, I couldn't help noticing these pretty trees.





It's just about the end for them, it seems.  We've had two nights of the temp getting down into the 20s, but I think we'll have a few days of nice weather before the rain starts back.

I got pictures from the weekend that showed how much fun the girls were having on the bouncy house.  It's not just for summer!  Here it was 41 degrees.



The whole family got to witness the Pillsbury Dough Boy skipping down the Parkway.  Emily's reaction:  Why????  The girls':  That's weird.  That's REALLY weird.


I hope tomorrow is a better day, and we find Layla and life starts looking up a little bit.  I want to enjoy the girls, but I feel so vulnerable right now, like I could get sick if I weren't really careful, that we're going to wait a few days.  


No comments:

Post a Comment