Sunday, October 4, 2020

Getting Those Spirits Up

 I have to get myself out of my gloom-and-doom attitude, but this weekend hasn't done it for me.  

This made my day though.  Emily sent me this picture drawn by Katherine, age 5, the cat lover.  She is pretty upset when she sees posters for missing cats on street corners and worries and worries about them.  I guess this is what prompted her to do this picture.


Which allows me to boast about her handwriting.  Jaydyn, the school coordinator, texted Emily and Ryan and said her handwriting was the best in the school.  Ha.  Two kindergarteners and two second-graders.  She has always taken pains with it and takes her art seriously too.

Emily and Ryan decided to get a cat because of her love for them, and they picked out one at a shelter without first giving it a child test run.  Luna is a beautiful girl and very loving.  To adults.  Only adults.  Not children.  She barely allows them to approach her and will only tolerate being carried intermittently.  Graysen pretty much leaves her alone, but Katherine can't, and she get scratched SO much.  Emily is getting to the point where she's thinking about trying to find her another home - with adults.


I'm begging them to get a puppy.  Because it won't be my responsibility, and I can enjoy puppy breath and walking it and not have to potty train.  It might have something to do with my 16-year-old photo memories.

Darby.  I brought her home from Pet Smart one day, and she was the best - except for her tendency to escape and romp all over the neighborhood.  She was easy to crate train and easy to teach little tricks and loved to ride in the car.  Her border collie genes came out a lot when she tried herding the cats, but they pretty much put up with her.  We didn't get to bring her here because of being in an apartment and knowing she would run out every time the door opened, but we found her a happy home in Georgia with another dog and plenty of forest to run around in.  I miss her sweet face.

Also 16 years ago, I was turning out quilts.  Looks like I made four that summer and fall.

This one is from a class I took at a local quilt shop in Columbus.  It turns out I was the only student, but the teacher taught it anyway.  I loved it.  One-on-one instruction.  We were supposed to use the fabric to blend and do a quilt that wasn't too symmetrical or predictable.  I failed at that part, but I love the one I did.  I still wrap up in it on the balcony when it gets chilly.

I brought the teacher's quilt home for inspiration, but I just had to do all four corners alike and line up that inner border.  So mine is the bottom one.  Same fabrics for both quilts but a totally different look.


I can hardly remember this one, but I remember the fabrics.  I made it for my daughter-in-law for her guest bedroom using the colors she suggested.  Shown here with Lili Cat.  I miss her sweet face too.  I see I did a little hand quilting on those white blocks.


That flowered loveseat!  I wondered how old it was.  I think we bought it in about 2001 for our sunroom in Meridian.  When we moved to Greensboro, it went into a little useless room just inside the front door.  We called it the "parlor" and pretty much ignored it.  Then in Columbus, it went into my office.  I didn't have my sewing machine out but sewed in the dining room when I wanted to.  Then in Montgomery it went either at the foot of our bed or in my office alcove off the bedroom.  When we moved here, it was the only couch that would fit in the space I have, so I'm still looking at those roses.  Strangely, I don't hate it - I just wish it weren't in the living room!  Maybe I'll get another one that size once there is no danger of cats clawing it.

I made this one for my Grandmother Hope Chest just because I saw this little girl print in Hancock Fabrics and had to bring it home. Last time I went over to Steller, it was still in the collection of coverings in the girls' room.  


This was one of the most fun quilts I've ever done.  I love the cat fabric and the accompanying colors and love the pattern - something like kitty in the corner, I think.  I also found the perfect backing.

I couldn't get my stitch-in-the-ditch to look right, so I hand quilted the whole thing.  I can tell I had a lot of time on my hands at that point in my life.  And no fancy phone or computer except my work computer.

The new owner was pretty pleased with it too.  Colleen.  The daughter and granddaughter of friends of ours.  

This should inspire me to get up and get busy.  If I once did it, I can do it again.  They were small quilts, but I finished them.  I'm not sure I'll do another full-sized quilt.  They're fun to piece but a pain to quilt and expensive to get professionally quilted.  I like this size - throws and baby quilts.  

Still looking for cheerful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment