Thursday, October 29, 2020

Fresh New Day

 I tried to be kind to myself last night and do a little self-care and serious pep-talking.  I got a shower and went to bed early and slept great.

When I woke up and sat on the side of my bed this morning, feeling optimistic and just good, I had this feeling of waiting, like I was fairly certain something was going to come along to punch me in the stomach and deflate my sense of well-being.

But so far, nothing.  Since I have Mah-Jong at 10:30, I thought I would take Ryan's car down to Jiffy Lube and get the oil changed since the oil change message is appearing, and there is a faint smell when I crank it.  

I had mentioned it to Ryan last week, and he said he would take it in, or either I could do it if I wanted to.  I volunteered, and now I get to rib him a little bit.

But first I took a walk around the apartment complex and rattled food and chatted about mundane things to Layla.  I hear I'm not supposed to call her name because of predators - or something.  I don't quite get that, but all I had to offer her was that Bowie missed her and that there was free food and blankets and a laser pointer for her at home.  

I had worn my jacket because it looked gray and wet, but it was warm enough for me to take it off halfway through my walk.  No sign of the kitty cat though.  We have 24 hours before the rescue team brings in the BIG TRAP.  

My drive down to Snoqualmie was very pretty, and I took some pictures, none of them much good, because I'm alone and have to just hold up the camera and hope for the best.





The leaves are past their prime, and I wish I had gotten out to enjoy them more last week.  They are prettier in person than in pictures, and fall is still my favorite season here, as short as it is.



So, my Jiffy Lube visit.  I don't go to these places enough to be comfortable, so it was not something I look forward to.  I'm always afraid I'm going to drive into that hole and get stuck.  The few times I've been here - or maybe just once - I was impressed at the young guys and how sweet they were.  Today, it was two young ladies who guided me in and checked the oil.  They came back with questions about how long it had been since I changed the oil and all that stuff.  I had to explain how this car is just the extra car in the family for whoever needs one at the moment, and I really didn't know anything about it.  She said, "This oil looks brand new."

One of them poked her head into the car and read the sticker - which I should have read but assumed Ryan KNEW - and the date was 6-28-20.  Just four months ago with no one really driving the car except me a few times.  We had a good laugh, and I managed to leave without buying anything.  I had a nice chat with one of the girls and told her that I wished I had learned all the car stuff when I was young but always had someone else to take care of it for me.  She said she had an auto mechanic grandfather who vowed no women in his family would ever be a damsel in distress and taught her all she knows.  I bet Ryan will teach the girls a lot about cars when they get old enough.  Emily is like me and just waits for someone else to take care of things.

I'm back home with my first cup of coffee and waiting for the others to join me in Mah-Jong.  I won a game Tuesday.  I've probably mentioned it already, but I don't always win.  Those ladies are good.  My friend Debbie who moved to Kansas is playing today, so it will be good to hear her voice.  I need to run and get in a practice game before they sign on.

I'm still optimistic about this day.

Going well so far.  I won 2 out of 4 games of Mah-Jong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment