Friday, July 31, 2020

G'bye July

It hasn't been the greatest July in my life - nor the worst.  I hope it's a one of its kind July and that we'll never have another one just like this one.  Better!

I think we've all done pretty well getting through another month.  Elise and I find ourselves with too much togetherness, but it's not the worst.  Emily and Ryan have carved out a pretty good schedule and acceptance of the way things are.  Not that things are perfect for sure.  There's a ton of worry about school and doing things the right way and all the uncertainty, but the girls seem to be full of energy and craziness and just don't seem to have been bothered by any of it.

I got out and walked first thing this morning, even before coffee, when it was cooler, and it was really nice.







Today was my Friday lunch with the girls, and I was about to leave to pick it up when Ryan called me from North Bend and said he and the girls were there running errands and that they would pick it up.  That sounded great to me, so I took my time going over there and managed to sweep the patio and pick up a little before they got there.  I always feel like I should do something to help when I'm over there, but they've got it under control for the most part. 

I still think of them as babies, but when Ryan brought the lunch around back, we talked a few minutes, and I asked where the girls were.  "Did you leave them in the truck?"  He said, "Yeah, they'll figure it out."  And they did.  In a few minutes I heard them coming around the corner singing 67 babies in a helicopter, or something.  Really growing up.

We ate outside even though the sun was already pretty bright, and it was nice.  The girls kept going in and out of the house showing me their new backpacks and lunch boxes and finding some new music to listen to. 

Katherine's lunch box was much more sparkly than I had gathered from the pictures, especially in the sunshine.  Very sparkly, and she's in love with it.


A water bottle that locks with her name on it also.



After we ate and cleaned up, we decided to cool off in the house for a bit and played some cards.  First, Go Fish.  I really wanted to brush some hair, but I didn't want to get that close.


Katherine is still not okay with losing unless you distract her with something funny.  Just that youngest-child-in-the-family syndrome, I guess.

When we played Old Maid, she didn't want to play, so Graysen and I played by ourselves.  She's really fun to play with, and there was much screaming and moaning over the old lady.  We tried to talk Katherine into playing the second game with us, and she let us deal her a hand, but she wanted to be Graysen's "helper," i.e. sneaking behind me and telling Gray which card NOT to pick.  We managed to get all the fun out of cards that we could stand.  They had rather line them up in rainbow color order than actually play the game. 



Once outside, we listened to lots of Caspar Babypants songs.  I love those songs, and she found my favorites:  Banana Bread, Crabby,  so many others.  There's a cute new one (to me) about a fiddlehead fern.  The words are a little tricky, but Graysen's got them all just right, and they can't help but dance when they hear it.



 The rest of the time was spent in dancing long and complicated routines to the Nutcracker to be video'd.

Graysen getting ready for her performance.



Very serious about it, especially when she could see her reflection in the sliding glass door.


I think Kathrine was just out of sight melting ice on the bricks and finding roly-polys.

I'm ending the night setting up my sort of useless planners for the rest of the year.  I didn't realize my nice one ended in July, but I had hardly used it since March, so I just ordered a simpler version, undated and just right for the little bit of stuff I have to do every day.


It's a 5 x 7 size, perfect for throwing in a bag and taking with me.  I also ordered a new budget planner since my last one was a part of my old planner, and I wanted a little more space.  I didn't read the details very well and thought it was the same size, but I was surprised to see that it was 8-1/2 x 11 and pretty serious.


I'm used to writing all my monthly expenditures on two small pages, so I don't know what I'm going to do with all those days when I don't spend anything!  Be happy about it, I guess!  I try to get organized so someone doesn't have to go crazy figuring out my stuff when I'm gone.  Maybe my money and I will run out at the same time. 

I've been visited by a few hummingbirds tonight.  It's such a nice pleasant evening.  I thought I had dreamed about a thunderstorm last night, but Emily mentioned that thunder and lightning had awakened her about 2:00 this morning.  I wish I had been awake enough to enjoy it.

Weekend coming up looks pleasant as well as the next 10 days.  Very little rain and highs in the high 70s and low 80s.  Loving summer finally. 




No comments:

Post a Comment