Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Busy, Busy Again

I'm needing to gradually get back in the swing of actually having things to do, and I probably overdid it today.

I was awake at 5:00 so I went to the kitchen and got out the butter and eggs and other ingredients for the things I was going to make today. 

When I took down the garbage, I remembered we needed cat litter replaced, and since there was a big bag in the back of the car, I took it upon myself to bring it inside.  Ryan usually does it for me, but this time he put it in my car at his house and forgot to bring it up.  I got it out of the car and carried it a few steps before I realized this was a very, very heavy thing.  For me.  I looked at it, and it was 42 pounds.  I couldn't leave it there, and it was too early for anyone to be wandering around to ask for help.  I got it to the bottom of the stairs and lifted it one step at a time.  All 16 steps.  It did bother my back, and I'm fully expecting to pay for my foolishness, but so far it's just tired and not painful. 

I made the blueberry oatmeal breakfast squares for the girls and put together the Monster Cookie Dough.  I wanted them to get to bake them themselves, so I packed up the chicken from last night, the blueberry stuff and the cookie dough and then asked Ryan if he needed me to take anything to the post office.  He had one thing, so I took over the food and made the trip to the post office. 

I decided my sewing challenge for today would be simple.  No working on the quilts but knitting some dish cloths.  I threw away one last night that had completely worn out, so I need to replace some.

Trying these fancy Spa Day Face Cloths instead of my usual Grandma's Favorite Dish Rags!  


I just pulled out the first skein I found and ran it past Layla who didn't really care.


I carted it around with me all afternoon and worked on it three different times, only to produce this much.  It was a little hard to concentrate on the new pattern with so much chattering going on around me.


It was a wonderful afternoon.  I was to babysit for "about 30 minutes" but since that has never happened, I planned for a couple of hours.

We tried to find something that would be safe to do - outside, masked, distancing - and decided on another walk, this time with the Wood Park as our goal.

We never reached that park but had the most fun.  

First we stopped by the garden.  That squash was so big we had to go inside and peek under the leaves.

We decided we could leave off our masks while we were out walking and just keep distance between us.




Looks like squash to me.



The girls get joy out of such simple things.  A car carrying truck - I'm sure it has a proper name - was parked just off the Parkway, and we stood there and discussed it for a long time and chose our favorite cars and lamented how noisy it was and wondered what it was doing on our small streets.

We went by Queen Kitty Hill, and they ran up and down the hill, inviting me to come up and sit there and watch them.  About that time, my early rising and backache and the (finally!) heat were beginning to take their toll, so I said only if I had a throne on top of the hill.  They hurriedly started making plans to build me one out of rocks - sounded more like they were planning to cook me - but I called them over to watch a bunny eating busily at the edge of the woods. 

 They are so sweet - and brave.  No way am I going to step in that grass!



They told me that Aunt CeCe had once gotten them Tiger Blood at the Shell station convenience store we had just passed and how that would be such a nice thing to drink on a warm day.  I agreed and went back to get money and a glass of water from Aunt CeCe.  They had a nice visit while I sat and sipped, and then we went back and got our refreshments.  They didn't have Tiger Blood (slushies?) but mango and blue something, so of course they chose the blue.

Blue teeth and lots of comments about how good it was.  Pure sugar is pretty good.



A Diet Coke perked me up immensely, and we got Aunt CeCe a Coke too and headed back.  We ran into BJ walking Buffy and talked a bit and then headed to the apartments when Graysen spotted this little family.


We followed along behind them quietly, and they didn't seem scared.  They even stopped to nibble a bush before going into the woods.  There was so much discussion about them until we heard screams and found out they had crashed around in the underbrush and terrified the Jones children who thought it was a bear.

We went to sit on the bench in front of the office and let the kids all play together with a roly-poly and a little spider.  They had not seen each other since March, and it was so cute to see them having fun together.  It was nice to see their parents too. 





That kept me from having to play someone mean for their pretend world.  I just sat there and knitted and enjoyed them.

One minor emergency was that Katherine got her little thumb stuck in the straw opening of her drink, and the more I tried to get it out, the worse it got.  It was sticking deep into her skin, and she was getting panicked.  I went to the office and asked Jessica if she had any scissors, which she did, and we made fast work of that plastic lid.  And got a Rice Krispie treat from Tom while we were there.



Emily came and picked them up there, apologizing profusely for leaving them two hours, but I loved every minute of it.  We'll got to the yogurt shop Friday, but I'm going to rest my aching back tomorrow.

It's nice to be have our windows open on a summer evening and hear the sounds of kids playing and someone moving in and hearing the birds sing.  I think I'm going to sit on the balcony when it gets dark enough that my wearing pajamas won't matter. 

Emily sent me these sweet photos after they got home.  What a good Mama!  She worked all day and still has the patience for crafts.


My loves.  I sure have missed them.


Tomorrow is going to be MY day.  No cooking, minimal cleaning.  No getting out unless for a walk.  I'm just going to knit and sew and listen to my audio book and read all the blogs I've neglected this week.  I'm through with Facebook, this time for good, I hope, so that frees up some of my time and keeps me from getting mad!  Except for my community page and some other groups I follow.  Getting old is releasing!  I really don't have to have things and people in front of me that bother me any more.



No comments:

Post a Comment