Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Spirits are Lifting

I'm not sure why we're feeling a little bit better about things this week.  There's certainly no reason, given the continuing spread of Covid-19 and the uncertainty about schools opening.  I want to put our family in a cocoon and just wait it out, but unfortunately that can't happen.  And wouldn't be good for us if it did.

I'm managing to be with the girls maybe twice a week and hear from them between times, and that has to do for now.  They seem to be happy and adventurous and creative - the children anyway.

Our goal is to have one special day a week and another spontaneous visit, and then if I happen to pass by or they happen to, we can have another little bit of time together.

I found out Emily was going to water the garden yesterday, so I asked if I could meet them there, and that was a nice idea.  The girls had on their skates and kept me on my toes catching them and cheering and fretting on my part.  It was probably the hottest day of the year so far - that I can remember - all the way up to 76.

These are some fancy skates with plenty of protective pads and helmets, and they need them.  There's way too much falling down to suit me.



Emily is looking over her farm:  zucchini, broccoli, kale, strawberries, carrots, and tomatoes.  The banana pepper I planted isn't going anywhere, nor is the pumpkin - yet.  They're not dead but just not thriving.


 The girls got so hot at one point that they just sat down and played with flowers and grass.


Once we made another round of skating and catching and sweating, I took them home to cool off in the back yard.  These were from a seed packet that said poppies, but Emily thinks they're not.  I think they're a mixture, maybe some cone flowers, anemones?




The hammock and swing make good spots for cooling off in the shade.





Lots of glittery bright nail polish happened over the weekend.

They had lunch outside, and I read them the rest of their Geronimo Stilton book and started another.  Graysen especially loves those books.  I brought one home with me so they can call me and let me read some more from my house.

I walked home after a few hours, and it was a nice walk.  Not too hot yet and a little breeze.  Inside the apartment was a little toasty though.  I took a shower and sat in the shade on the balcony until I cooled off.

I ventured into the sewing room this weekend and made a couple of masks, trying to find the size and pattern that's the most comfortable.  It's bad enough to have an extra piece of fabric to wear without the elastic pulling on your ears.


After only 3 teeth, the tooth fairy pillow needed some repair, especially since it will be needed very soon for the 4th one.


I did a little bit more tweaking on the quilts.



This should be plenty of dish cloths for a while, but they're fun to do while I listen to my books, so I'll start making some for Emily and Ryan.


It's a nice place to sew, and I get to see what's going on beneath me.


This is how I felt when I got home yesterday.


I stopped by the library and dropped off my books - finally.  I've had them since March.



I hear gymnastics is going well and lots of fun.  There were a few more little girls who showed up this week.  If I can get a booster seat in my car for Graysen, maybe I'll get to take them Thursday.



















And that's all I can remember from over a week.  There may have been several spontaneous naps and some phone calls and emails and a broken vacuum cleaner mixed in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment