Saturday, July 11, 2020

Exhausted!

I'm going to have to ease myself gradually back into keeping up with little girls.

I promised to take them downtown to get frozen yogurt today, and they were on a video call with me at 9:00 wondering when we were going.  I was still on my first cup of coffee and told them I had rather go in the afternoon after lunch when it was warmer, and besides I had to wait for Mr. Tom to come fix our toilets. 

No sympathy.  Sad eyes.  Beseechingly sad faces.  I told them if they wanted, I could read them a book for a little bit, and they chose a Ramona Quimby one.  Katherine immediately disappeared from view as she sat on the floor and played with a broken bead necklace - but she was listening.  Graysen listened and interacted but got way too interested in checking out her teeth in the video and figuring out which ones were loose and watching herself eat Goldfish in slow motion.  I was finally able to set a firm date - 2:30 - after lunch and after my repairs, and we were all happy.

I worked a little bit on my spa cloth for my sewing challenge, but the real challenge was tapering some pants for Elise.  It was surprisingly easy, and she ended up being really happy with them.  I also took an old shirt someone had given her, cut it up, and made a scarf for her pony tail.   Not very pretty or creative, but it made us happy, and I did spend some time in the sewing room. 

We did get yogurt and ate it at a table on the sidewalk.  We walked from their house, past mine, and then 3 more blocks to the yogurt shop. 

Watermelon/chocolate for Graysen with Gummy sharks and worms and Cotton Candy/Chocolate with Gummy sharks and some kind of little marshmallows for Katherine. 









It was a perfect day - not too hot and not too cool and two little girls who are easily pleased.  Sugar overdose.  Aunt CeCe joined us and we walked a few more blocks down to the pond and watched the duckies and then to the "Wood" park where they played pretty much by themselves on the monkey bars and slides.  They kept their masks on nicely and worked off some energy.

They were then dying to go into this little secluded path that connected two walking trails.  I'm not too adventurous, but that was a beautiful little area, full of ferns and moss and overturned trees. 



I don't want to admit how close I came to not making it up that last little rise to the path, but I did it somehow.

We then walked back through town, past my apartment and the 5 blocks or so to their house.  It was not terribly hot, but I was totally drained and walking very slowly.  Luckily, they were too busy making up fantastic stories of being jungle queens with pet chick-munks and I was the evil snake.  All I had to do was glare and hiss every once in a while to make them think I was more into the story than I was.

At home, they used Scotch tape to tape fern fronds to their hands and bodies.  I really wanted to go home and fall into bed, but those little faces.  Still.



I sat with Emily and had some cold water and talked a bit and then headed home, the sight of which was soooo welcome.  Those last 11 stairs though. 

I made some iced tea and took a short nap and feel revived somewhat.  Hopefully, the weekend will be easy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment