Monday, August 3, 2020

First Harvest

I received a text Saturday morning that the family was working in the garden and I should come visit if I wanted to.  I did!  I was over there pretty quickly, eager to see that giant squash I was hearing about.


This sure didn't look like the squash we were used to, but after Googling it, we found that it's called a Lebanese White Squash, so we decided it wasn't past its prime.  

There are plenty more of these and the zucchini.  I'm going to try squash bread instead of zucchini bread since they taste the same.



My free lunch!  I had half an onion I needed to use, and the squash was delicious.


Along with some pork roast and the blackberries the girls and I picked while Mom and Dad worked in the garden.


Those two round objects are some type of tomato.  I don't think they're entirely ripe, but I don't really expect them to taste good.  Hope I'm pleasantly surprised.  I just used about a third of the squash, so I'll roast some along with the zucchini tomorrow.


My Better Boy is looking a little tired, but he was planted nicely and firmly in that good rich soil on a cloudy day, so I think he'll be okay.  I don't miss carrying 3 or 4 cans of water to the balcony every day, sometimes twice a day, to keep it moist.




A winter squash of some sort.  I was hoping for Delicata, but Emily said she couldn't find any of those.


Teeny Brussels sprouts.


The girls and I wandered around and picked berries and took some more pictures while Emily and Ryan watered and weeded.  The carrots are surprisingly not doing well this year, and the strawberries have been kind of lost under all those leaves, but the kale and other greens are great.  Even the pumpkin is flowering.

The dahlias didn't come back this year, but the gladioli are beautiful.


We always look to see where this cute little rabbit is hanging out.


Neighbors are growing a few stalks of corn.


I enjoyed seeing my girls even for a short visit.  They were full of news from a play date and school and so many things.  We talked about whether bears eat berries or not and how they pick them with their big paws.  We made plans to pick a bunch more when they get riper.  I love them tart but the girls not so much.

Dressed perfectly for a day of gardening - or scootering or taking a walk.


Katherine showed me her NEW cougar claw necklace that Anne and Bryan replaced after she lost her other one.  So sweet of them.  And she wanted me to see "our favorite president" on her shirt.


Emily has the green thumb in the family and loves digging in the dirt as much as her Grandaddy Humphrey.  He would probably smile at this little plot compared to his Ponderosa and give some of those veggies funny looks.  I know Grandaddy Windham would have something choice to say about the Brussels sprouts!



Today has been quiet and peaceful except when one of the smoke alarms started beeping.  Ryan was nice enough to come over and remove the battery, and I'll get maintenance to look at all of them this week.  I could have taken some daytime beeping, but I don't think it would have been good to try to sleep with it beeping.

I'm not sure what's in store this week.  I know I'll be playing Mah-Jong Tuesday with the group, and that has turned out to be fun.  I'm trying to play a few games on the computer so I can get used to the 2020 rules.  

I hope to have a couple of short family visits too and a few walks.  The kind of week I like.  No hotter than 80 degrees and rain only on Thursday, but that rain is coming with a high of 67, so I'm going to take a snuggle inside day.  Which is pretty much what I do every day, but I've actually missed the rain.  A bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment