Friday, August 21, 2020

Rants and Raves

 As promised, I did get a picture of Peanut the beagle from Lubbock.

Jo and Larry loved their Daisy for many years before they lost her last year, and I know this is one spoiled little girl.  We had a beagle many years ago, and we had grandbeagles too for a while, so I know how much fun they can be.

I woke up early this morning, not worrying for a change, just woke up.  I thought I would get a head start on some sewing and found someone in my (his) sewing chair.  I didn't want to disturb him because it's good to see him tolerating me coming that close to him.  He's doing better and better. 


Once I had my coffee ready, he was gone, so I made a couple of the little doll masks, which are very easy.  I found the pattern and instructions here, and once you watch her videos, you'll think you can create beautiful things.  

Since the video for the people mask looked so neat and like it fit well, I decided to make the girls one to match their dolls.  What a disaster.  There is a special way of turning each piece and sandwiching them just right so when you finish, there are two sides and a filter pocket, all in one step.

The first one I made was fine except the pocket was inside out and showed the seam.  I'm going to let that one go since I don't think anyone will care.

The next one I was more careful with, and this time, the pocket was completely encased between the front and the back, nowhere to be seen.  It's hard to take them apart when all the curves have been clipped, but I wanted to learn!

The third one worked, but as hard as I try, I'm just not good at topstitching on these tiny little things, but I do think they'll do

I had ordered some expanders to try to make my masks not pinch my ears, and I think these will be perfect without having to make anything.


They're not beautiful, but, again, they'll be under my hair or in my hair, and I don't think one person has ever looked at me and judged my mask hairdo.  Hopefully not!

Probably too big for the girls, but they do make cute little colorful ones in smaller sizes if needed.

So that should be plenty for all the girls and dolls for now.  I like the little pleats on the sides of this pattern.

Millie and Al arrived yesterday to spend some time on Steller.  I texted her and told her that if they were out walking, they should stop by.  I'm not going over unless someone asks for me and let them enjoy all the cuddles and giggles this week.  She said they were going to ask me to meet them for ice cream one day.  That sounds like a good plan.  I think tomorrow is going to be pretty messy, and I wonder if we're going to have any more warm weather, or if summer is just over.

I enjoyed talking to my neighbors today from my balcony.  Their son had just brought them over their groceries.  They are still a little embarrassed about being so sheltered, but I love that we're being appreciated and taken care of although maybe a little guilty.

I told them I looked out my window yesterday morning when I was sewing and saw them walking pretty fast down the sidewalk and started to yell at them that they had been spotted escaping.  They were actually so excited because another son was having a patio constructed, and they were invited over to watch the concrete being poured!   Times are different, and we can laugh at most things, but I'll sure be glad when it's over - or at least better.  We were saying we had not seen our children without masks since March, and for some reason, they keep backing up while we're talking to them!

The Democratic Convention is now over, and I have to say it's the first one I've ever really watched and listened to.  I guess it's the first time I've been scared for our country, and this is what hope we have.

I'm not a gung-ho supporter of Joe Biden, although I think he is serious about wanting to do a good job. I hope he has that chance.  He for sure will be better than what we have and I'm confident will listen to opinions and guidance from others.  He will not publicly praise a blatant racist and conspiracy theorist like that woman from Georgia, and I'm pretty confident he won't praise QAnon whose agenda seems to be to promote conspiracy theories and incite anger and violence.  

 I'm pretty excited about having a role model for the girls in Kamala Harris.  

I'm just ready for the childishness and the meanness to be put on the back burner and for someone, anyone to try to be a leader.  

I have a little more hope for social media after Facebook removed false and misleading messages and twitter messages from the person who is supposed to be working on running our country. 

I have hope for the Republicans who aren't afraid to stand up and support our country and stop tolerating unconstitutional practices.  

I'm hopeful, but if we choose a man who has already been impeached, it will show what our country is truly made up of.  Truly sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment