Thursday, July 4, 2019

Good Clean Fun

I really don't have enough stuff going on in my limited brain, so I have to find another interest here and there to liven things up.  In my whole life, I have never had the least interest in soap-making.  Not in the years where I actually had some free time, not ever.

But all of a sudden, an offer for a kitty head soap mold came up on my email or Facebook or somewhere, and I was hooked.  The video is a little long, little girls and their mom going through the process of making these soaps (and making it look easy), but I loved the thought of it.



So I reached out to Sherry who has been known to make soap - and every other craft!  I asked her if this was something I should rule out completely or was it possible to do it simply.  The way she did it was pretty complicated and involved a lot of things I knew I wasn't going to get into, but it did get me aware of what was possible.

And what was possible was this:


A Target kit which doesn't include kitty head molds but does include enough stuff to let us know whether we need to invest $10.00 in the molds.  With my Target 5% discount and free shipping, we had it ready to go in a couple of days for something like $12.  It includes enough clear glycerine soap to make 16 "bars", two different scents and 2 color, pink and blue.

I was able to hold it over the girls yesterday afternoon for enough time to get them to clean up their lunch dishes and the play area and stack the library books.  They're like me, a sucker for a new project.

It was all super easy.  I put a chunk of soap in the little cup provided, heated it for 11 seconds, and then let them pick out the color and fragrance.  There was a lot of agonizing over which mold to pick first and which fragrance and color, but it was finally decided.

We did pink first with a tropical fruit flavor and then blue with jasmine.  Katherine chose a heart and a star, and Graysen chose a butterfly and some creature like a dinosaur - or a turtle - we couldn't really tell.




I'm not sure why I don't have more pictures, because they were pretty cute.  I think they were so proud of them they wanted to carry them around and play with them.  Especially the bear and the flower from the next batch.  Again, no pictures of the details, but they popped right out of the molds.


We mixed the pink and blue and got a purple color which was no one's favorite.  It's a rose and a penguin.  They did smell delicious, and the cleanup was a breeze, of course.


The enthusiasm had waned a little by the end of the second round, especially since they had to wait 10 minutes for them to be ready, and they got distracted by other things, but I think it was a great success, and if they don't want to do it again, I'll make some tropical fruit ones for myself.

I'm not sure I want to invest much money in it yet, but just perusing this Brambleberry web site makes me want to do it ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment