Friday, July 26, 2019

First Week of Summer

It's been a busy one and a fun one.

Every morning this week, the girls have had their dance camp and enjoyed it so much.  The first day they came out a little tired-acting and not overly talkative.  They both said they liked the other girls but didn't know their names, so the next morning as we dropped them off, we got some names and information, and by the time we picked them up, the two sets of sisters were already hand-holding and hugging friends.  The little girls live in West Seattle and are staying in North Bend for the summer while their house is being remodeled, and their grandmother from Austin is also staying with them.  So I have a new friend too, Penelope.  She said it just took three words before she asked me where I was from.  And I didn't even say, "Y'all."  We sat on the bench out front and talked for 30 minutes or so while the girls ran and played in the grass.  It's been nice knowing someone every morning, and we've made plans to get the girls together during the next few weeks while they're still here.  Sad that they will be leaving after that.

Tuesday afternoon, we joined Tanya and Isabella for a playdate at a big park, and there was much running and playing and chasing around.  I had gotten energetic enough to stop at the grocery store and buy cookie mix and make some almost homemade chocolate chip cookies, and they were a big hit, since the girls just invited everyone they met to come have some.  I packed a picnic basket with snacks and drinks, and we stayed several hours.

 The older girls mainly ran.  And ran and ran but did stop to play around with some bocce balls.




Katherine found a sweet friend too, and they played together really well.  Those curls!  I could never get Katherine to turn around, but she always had a big smile on her face.



I like her to find someone to play with, because otherwise I hear a constant, "Mimi, swing me!"

Yesterday morning when I dropped off for dance, I decided to walk around the community center grounds on a walking path, and that was perfect.  It was half a mile and no distractions of streets to cross or bicycles to avoid or dogs to pet - just me and my thoughts and a nice breeze to keep it from getting too warm.  I thought about doing a second round, but all that energy I had the day before just disappeared.

Katherine had a playdate yesterday with her very best friend Makena from Rooster Valley who has a brand new baby brother.  Her dad brought her to Steller Park, and they and the other kiddos there played long and hard.  Unfortunately, that's a park with no shade, and my energy kept getting lower and lower as the sun kept beating down on me.  The kids played under the slides, so they were fine.  I talked to an au pair from South Africa who is keeping four children on the street and is so terribly homesick.  It's a sort of exchange program where she can live with the family, keep the kids during the day, and go to school.  I hope she's able to make it work.

Finally when I had had enough, we walked home, and fortunately Emily arrived just as we did and released me.  I had plans to go out for dinner with their neighbor Debbie whose realtor was hosting an open house at their house that night.  It was good to get out and talk to another adult and eat a nice salad.  We ate at the North Bend Bar and Grill, a lively and friendly place.  I had been hot, but we got so cold we were wishing we had eaten outside.  I had an interesting-sounding salad, a Columbian River Blackened Steelhead Ceasar Salad.  Ryan explained to me what a Columbia River Steelhead was today, and it was yummy and filling.  Nice night.

I decided not to walk this morning since I had so many thing to finish up at home, but BJ across the way texted and asked if I wanted to walk, that she wanted to "check on the mountains." I told her a short one and that I had just seen the mountains and they were still there.  I didn't know she meant Rainier though!  I've only seen it once from the park, but she had a special place where it's visible on clear days, and it was worth the effort.  It was uphill all the way, but then it was totally downhill all the way home.


 I really want to get to visit Rainier when I get a chance.  Emily and Ryan took Mike on one of visits up here without me.  The cropping makes it look closer than it is, but it's really an hour-and-a-half away.  Luckily, with the wet spring, we haven't had the fires and smoke we had last year.

After the dance class today, the class had a little recital, and it was precious.  It was a Fairy Tale Princess theme, and they had made crowns with jewels and jewelry boxes and necklaces, and with their borrowed tutus, it was just the sweetest little performance.

 Graysen and her new friend Lily.







 Graysen and Lily's little sister Coralee.


I tried several times to get Katherine's attention to fix her crown but never could.  She's totally into this dance and all the instructions.


 I still have a hard time believing what a big girl she is now.  Just no more babies.


 They were amazing after only four practices, and every one of them followed the leads of the teachers and really put on a good show.


The 4 little girls had their own dance and then the older ones had theirs, and then they all joined in for this one.  Katherine is very concerned about her orange spot on the floor.






Ryan showed up and surprised them, and then we all went to get corn dogs and lemonade again.  This is a Pac-Man game that they enjoy "playing."  That skirt is just not working for Katherine!





When we got home, I told them they could do anything that didn't involve me for awhile, and they played some but ended up playing hair salon with me as the customer.  It was fine because they preferred it if I dozed while they made me beautiful.  Hoping for a quiet Friday and a nice peaceful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment