Tuesday, August 4, 2020

I'm Being Watched

I was minding my own business yesterday and just knitting and listening to my book when something caught my eye over the next-door balcony.  It was a huge wing.  I couldn't see the bird then but knew it was right behind the eaves.  As I watched a giant bird walked up the roof and perched there on the top and stared at me.  Or that's what it looked at.  I'm sure it was a bird of prey looking for the bunnies that sometimes hop out of the little green area.

I'm still not sure what it is, but it sure looked ominous, especially in the blurry photograph I was able to take before it flew away.


I sent the cropped and zoomed photo to Emily and Ryan and asked if they thought it was a hawk.  The coloring is right - light to dark brown, but that shape.  It's bigger than any crow I've seen and the wrong color.  It looks like a small eagle.  I just wish it had stayed longer so I could get a good look.  

I told Susan across the alley about it and mentioned that it might have heard that there were three cats on her balcony at times.  They walk along the area between the banister and open space, and it scares me.  

That's about the extent of my otherwise quiet day.  Blue sky, hummingbirds, cool breeze.  My own little seedless watermelon.


I tried to get a good picture of the hummingbird's silhouette, but it wouldn't cooperate.



Ryan came and got my car so I could borrow their extra one for a few days because of my tires.  I cleaned it out thoroughly and asked if I should hug it then, but it's parked at their house, and he's not going to get rid of it right now.  Hopefully, we'll go car shopping this weekend.  I like the way their car drives really, so I'm okay with just driving that one until it dies for now.  

So this week?  Mah-jong at 10:30, grocery store maybe after that.  I printed some pretty coloring pages for the girls yesterday and will deliver those with some paints and slime I have here that I worry will dry up if they don't get used.  Elise and I might go to Target tomorrow since I now have wheels.  We were considering buying a little fan for Elise, but we've only needed one 2 days, and fall will be here in about 3 weeks!  Thursday is free (rainy and cool) and Friday is my afternoon with the girls.  Sounds so full and exciting.  I'm sure there will be plenty to keep me busy.  

I talked to the young guy next door yesterday as I was cleaning my car.  He was mainly walking around in his garage and yawning, but from the looks of things - and his mother working in there - I got the idea he was moving and asked him.  He said he was leaving for college in Montana.  I guess some colleges are going to be open?  His truck is the one right under my bedroom window (with the windows open for now), so I hope the new renters will have a quieter car and less inclined to play their music so loud.  Otherwise, I've enjoyed his guitar playing and enthusiasm for life.  

Now I need to go do a practice game of MJ before the others come on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment