Monday, November 23, 2020

Strange Holiday

 This will be a Thanksgiving that most people will remember and not because of anything good but for the unique and special ways people have for "getting together."  

I'm lucky enough to have a daughter and son-in-law whose favorite cooking day is Thanksgiving, so all I have to do is open my door for my plate!  I'm sure I can observe all the preparations from the Duo on the counter if I want to, but it might get a little intense.  I know there will be a big turkey and dressing and an apple pie with piecrust from scratch, unless those plans have changed.  Homemade cranberry sauce, I'm sure.  Sparkling water with pomegranates.  A side dish, maybe mashed potatoes, and my only contribution, the congealed lime salad - if someone finds the recipe in the next couple of days.  

Here are a few pictures from Thanksgivings past.


The girls spend so much time making table decorations and place cards.


From 2017.  I see Alabama peas.  It's been awhile since we've had those or sippy cups.


We didn't do Thanksgiving in 2016 probably.  We did have a wonderful celebration in 2015 though, right before we moved to Washington.

Katherine's first Christmas.  And PopPop's last.  It was also Jack's last one too.  Here he's keeping his eye on every morsel of food, and I imagine Griff is under the table.




We had Thanksgiving in Montgomery in 2014 but no turkey except from the deli at Publix.  The dressing was the real deal though, and I see that lime salad there.  



I have no idea about Thanksgiving of 2013.  I know we were in Montgomery, and the Win-Bins were in Snoqualmie.  This is the only Thanksgiving picture on the blog - a shirt ready to mail to Graysen.


Thanksgiving 2012 was when Mike and I traveled across the country to get to celebrate with the Emily and Ryan and their friends.  Going through Snoqualmie Pass in a blizzard just about did me in, but we ended up having a fun time.

Getting ready to take Eleanor's sewing machine - and many, many more things - to Washington.


This was not just beautiful snow.  It was howling blizzard.  At night.  No snow tires.  We were just passing through from Alabama.  I was never so glad to get off that mountain.


We ate and partied with friends.  It was a ginger snap ham that year.


Put together a crib.

And knew that the next time we were there, they would be a family of three.

Thanksgiving of 2011.  Seems like Mike, Mama, and I put together a few traditional dishes like dressing, brown rice, sweet potato casserole and, again, Publix turkey.

In 2010, I don't even mention Thanksgiving.  I think I was already thinking ahead to everyone being home for Christmas.

2009 is the year Mike spent in Issaquah with Emily, Ryan, and Karen.  They had just moved there and were renting a house on Squak Mountain.  I haven't found any pictures.

In the meantime, Debby, Bobby, and I were having a cousins Thanksgiving at her house in Gantt.  So much food.  So much fun.  Hunter and Clark came, and I took Darby and Mama.







That's all I find on the blog, although there are lots more Thanksgivings that we've celebrated through the years.  That would take scanning of pictures though, and I don't have time for that.

Yesterday Emily called and said they are all going to the clinic for them to do some work and maybe I should take my quilt there to take advantage of the large tables.  I didn't have to be asked twice.  It was so good to see the girls.  They were happily munching popcorn and "working out" on the treadmills.  



Arranging the little snowflake, penguin, and polar bear erasers I took them.



We did get one quilt sandwich together and glue basted, but it wasn't ideal.  The tables were wide enough but maybe a little too soft, so I'm not sure we stretched them enough.

Once I got home and ironed it well, most of the little wrinkles came out.  

We're going to do the other one on her hardwood floor and/or big dining table, so it should be better, and I'll probably take the first one apart and redo it.  It was a learning experience for us.  We've done a lap quilt but not a twin size one.

The Christmas pajamas are here, and now it's time to decide what to embroider on them.  I can't believe I'm seeing a size 6 and size 8!

I only planned on posting 2 or 3 pictures and got carried away remembering, but I guess that's what this blog is all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment