Tuesday, November 17, 2020

New Kind of Holidays

 I can't quite keep my days straight lately, and I was rushing Thanksgiving up a week.  I'm going to make one dish only for our virtual Thanksgiving dinner, and I got into a panic thinking I needed it for this Thursday.  I was glad to get a week's reprieve, although I'm not sure I'll go into the grocery store.  Emily is encouraging me to order from Amazon Fresh.  Old habits die hard though, and I'm a little way off from that, especially since Elise feels okay going in and picking up things.

I think Graysen drew this Scientist Turkey with the lab coat, safety goggles, and beaker (test tube?)u, but both of the girls are showing me pumpkins and turkeys and autumn leaves that they've crafted when we do our calls.

I'm going to miss seeing them especially this time of year when we should be reading our Christmas books and studying the Target Toy Catalog.  I got a little hint about something they really wanted and have already ordered and received it  - but it's not quite the same.  Nothing is, and we'll make the best of it this year and have faith we will soon be safe to visit soon.

I need to sneak over and peek inside and see the Win-Bins' tree that they got yesterday.  It wasn't the ideal day for cutting one, but they had had to make an appointment, so they had to put up with the rain.  It makes me happy to see them have a fun adventure and come home with a perfect tree.  Some pictures that Emily sent.








Each girl got a chance to help Dad do some cutting with the saw.


Looks like they picked the perfect one.  I can't wait to see it in person - and smell it.



We are trying to keep cats happy around here and ourselves too.  Layla has been gone for two weeks, and Elise is more confidant than I am she'll come home.  We had a picture show up on the community page of a sad cat looking in someone's glass door, so that's revived our hopes.  

It hurts my heart to think that's her just looking for a warm place to sleep.


That neighborhood is just maybe 3 blocks away, BIG blocks though, but it's not impossible it could be her.  Elise and Nathan walked around in the pouring rain tonight calling her, and we have people all around still looking for her.  Praying that she is just lost and will be back with us.

In the meantime, Bowie is missing her still.  We thought Luna spending some time here would help with that, but they're not yet able to stay in the same room and relax.  There is less hissing and more eating off the same placemat but no instant friendship.  

Still not a happy face.  She misses her people, I know.  We're all a little sad.


It's gloomy, rainy, and cold, and we need to liven things up a little around here.  I worked on ironing the batting and backing for the quilts and trimming thread off the back of the quilt top, but it's slow going.  I wish I could have some of the Christmas boxes upstairs, but I'm not organized enough to know which ones to tell people I want brought up.  

I'm listening to a John Grisham book that I'm not sure I'm going to stick with. I'm not sure a crime novel is something I want right now. 

 I have East of Eden ready to listen to and also an Evelyn Waugh book, Decline and Fall.  

It's been hard to concentrate on reading lately, so I've been watching a few movies.  The one I enjoyed most was The Gift, and it is intriguing.  A few scenes caused me to jump, but it was nicely done and had a surprise ending.

I also had The Queen's Gambit recommended, and I pretty much watched all 7 episodes in two days.  It was that good even for someone who never learned to play chess.  

I watched a French movie on Netflix today, Lady J.  Subtitles, beautiful period costumes and music and a fairly good story.   I'm not sure why, but I watched Dash and Lily, a movie - or series - about teenagers over the weekend, but it was all about Christmas in New York, lots of snow and caroling and lights and a good story too.  

That's my miserable little life so far this week.  I can make it better if I try a little harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment