Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Zoning Out Time

After enjoying - sort of - the first weeks of quarantine, I just got really strange and lethargic.

It could have started when I allowed a pizza to be delivered to the apartment, first time in way over a year.  I also allowed some other non-BLE foods to creep in and just got off my plan.  Just that in itself didn't cause the lethargy, because I know how to "rezoom" now.  I have all the right foods in the house and none of the bad ones, but I'm just not feeling excited.  I know it will come, but I have to handle a lot of the feelings I'm having right now.

Lots of rain and cooler weather came, more isolation from the family, lack of books and lack of contentment.  I did a little sewing - made a few masks for us.  Ordered some plants and potted those although a little chilly for outdoor stuff.





Had a long and happy conversation with Debra who is now officially retired. She has mixed feelings but mainly relief.  We can now talk in the middle of the day and, since there is a 3-hour time difference, not have to worry about waking someone up or keeping someone up.  We'll also have time to plan our cross-country trip for one day.  I'm not sure who's going to drive us, but we'll worry about that later!

I also blame Sherry for introducing me to Jigsaw Explorer Puzzle Player, an online jigsaw puzzle site.  I love puzzles but probably only do them once a year when we all get excited about Christmas and plan to do them together.  We usually end up doing our own at separate houses, but now seemed like a good time to get one started, with a little extra time.  I brought over this one from Emily's house.  She and I had done it several years ago and loved it so much.  We drank coffee and watched the children and talked and laughed.  Good memories.

But now that it was here, I just didn't want to take up table space with it where I'd have to cover it to keep the cats from scattering it and where I'd end up with an aching back from spending too much time on it.  So.  Many.  Books.




Anyway, Sherry sent me the link to a sewing puzzle she had found, and we both did it.  You are allowed to pick the number of pieces you work with - from 50 or so to more than 1000.  Since to me, more is better with puzzles, I picked 1000 and quickly found it's not the same on line as in person.  You can hardly see the pieces.  I've found that around 500 is more enjoyable.  I love that one click opens a page with just the outer border, and when that is done the other pieces pop out.  I picked nonrotating pieces, so you don't have to worry about trying 4 different ways to fit a piece in.  And it gives such a satisfying click with you're successful.  The only negative, besides being a time-waster, is that I don't love a lot of the puzzles.  I don't mind landscapes, but they're not as nice on the computer as in person. I tend to do illustrations and art things and collections of just colorful stuff.

After I did that hard one, I then picked another simpler one to do and fell in love with it.  So mindless!  So satisfying!  Such an awful use of my time.  I did combine it with audio books, so it wasn't quite as mindless, but it would keep me up late at night, just never finding a stopping point, and that would cause me to sleep later in the mornings and just get into a disjointed life.

My favorites.

Poznan Square Jigsaw Puzzle

Hello Summer 2019 Jigsaw Puzzle

Flower Shopping Jigsaw Puzzle

Many Easter Eggs Jigsaw Puzzle

This is the difference between easy -



And hard.


This has been my favorite.  At first, I thought it was Pringles cans, but then I realized they are books with funny titles.  I loved all the color and detail - and the cats' eyes.

Cat Books Jigsaw Puzzle

Now that that subject is exhausted, I have no more time to write about other stuff.  Or maybe it's just that I have nothing else interesting to offer.

I did hear about this and ordered it from Amazon.  Elise and I have to have some type of lightener in our coffee, and this looked like a good convenient and healthier-than-milk solution.  We'll see.  I'm trying the hazelnut today.


Some masks I have made.  So far, they're not fun for me because I keep tweaking the pattern I like.  I made this one, and I think Elise was not sure she wanted to be seen in the grocery store with me.

On this one, I put a pipecleaner in the top and used self-stick tape for the nose area.

There is an inside pocket for the filter.  I figure this is just about the best I can do.


The fabric beneath is my next one.  If I have to wear the things, they need to be colorful!

The girls loved theirs.


I'm not sure how much they'll be wearing them, but they love modeling them.


I'm back there lurking in the background.  It's not bad, but I miss hugging them, and it's hard to understand what we're saying.  I guess we'll just get used to all this but sorry we have to.



No comments:

Post a Comment