Friday, April 24, 2020

Odds and Ends

I am seriously having trouble knowing what day it is or even what month it is.  I had to confess to Kathy that I mailed her birthday card a month early - instead of late or not at all.  I did know it was the 25th of some month, so give me credit for that.

I think I missed a day somewhere because I thought today was Thursday and wondered why Emily was not off yesterday.  It's hopeless and not really much reason to care.

Yesterday was a rainy day, and someone locked their keys in the car with the car running and had to call AAA.  I'm not supposed to dwell on it, but she's a good sport and has bailed me out so many times.  I was totally impressed with AAA getting a truck there in 15 minutes and even updating me on time.  That put pressure on me getting ready because I temporarily lost my phone while getting my clothes on.  I had only walked 10 feet, but somehow it took both of us a valuable 5 minutes to locate it - in a drawer in my closet.  I stood in front of the Starbucks door at one end of Safeway for only a few seconds, and the guy was calling me from other end of the parking lot where there was another silver Malibu.  What are the chances that the young man parked next to us was a firefighter with a kit for opening locked doors.  Too bad he wasn't there 15 minutes ago.





Glad it was no worse than it was.  We thought we had an extra key, but it turns out I have 2 extra ones for my car and none for hers.

I got out again to go pick up a Mah-Jong card.  I've ordered a new one, but it's not here yet, and some of the ladies are playing on line since the Y is closed.  It gave me a good chance to talk to a fellow player in her driveway in spite of the rain.

It seems a woodpecker has been doing some damage in our building, which is an annex to the Y.  Glad he didn't come earlier when we were trying to concentrate.


Image may contain: sky and outdoor

It was a quiet day - of course - and I had 3 nice phone conversations before lunchtime and a special face-to-face call from Katherine.  I asked if I could talk to the girls separately sometime since Graysen seems to guide the conversation when they're both on.  She decides who tells what and gives Katherine a lesser part sometimes, but once we were talking, Kate didn't have as much to say as I thought.  We were a little hampered by the fact that the screen was freezing, but Ryan is ordering me a new router to see if we can get things more pleasant.  It's so special just to see them and here their voices and look around the kitchen and den to see what's changed.  I asked her what she did this morning, and she said, "Cleaning."  Cleaning what?  "We cleaned our desk-es because they were too messy."

My morning:  Trying the new Nut Pods, and I don't see what all the fuss is about.  It doesn't seem to make much difference in the lightness of the coffee and doesn't add a bit of flavor, at least not the hazelnut or vanilla.  I'll use them, of course.  Maybe the caramel will be better.  Then I'll probably go back to the Signature Brand no-sugar French vanilla.  Or keep on trying to drink it black.

Refilled the hummingbird feeder and checked on the new plants.  Everything seems to have survived, and I'm just waiting for it to be warm enough to be comfortable sitting outside.

Vacuumed, made lunch, talked on the phone, and drank coffee.

Cleaned out the Barbie section of the toy cabinet.  I was ruthless and threw away a lot of the clothes.  They've been in hot attics for 20 years, so anything with stretched elastic went out as well as other crazy things that just don't work.  The 80s fashion and hairdos are crazy anyway, but the girls do enjoy playing with them.  I caught Elise pulling a pink flowered robe out of the trash can, saying, "This was always my favorite." 

Saw some pretty things on my walk and a little sunshine but not as warm as I like.





I met Emily and the girls on their bike ride yesterday where they gave me a bunch of artwork and cards they had made and showed off the new Easter bunnies.






The whole family went to a bike trail nearby one day this week and really enjoyed that.  Both girls are riding well and getting plenty of exercise.









And that's the week.  

I pulled a bookshelf out to vacuum today and realized I had not plugged in this lamp since I moved it here.  I love the way it cozies up this corner.


 The lamp came from my mother-in-law and father-in-law's house, and I've always loved the little blue and white flowers.  Debby's little cat angel has moved from the kitchen to the bedroom.  I hate to even glance at the right side because there are about 10 boxes of pictures that need to be dealt with.  I so dread doing that.  I planted some herb seeds yesterday and put them in this window to get more light.

Good enough day!

No comments:

Post a Comment