Monday, April 3, 2023

A Nice Easy Sunday

 All my days are pretty easy nowadays, and that makes me happy.  I got a few things done - one load of laundry, making a week's worth of breakfast muffins, and doing all those things that just had to be done.  I cleaned one bathroom, straightened the other, took my meds, and did a little kitchen work.  

Elise had come over and cleaned out my under-the-sink cabinet and my pots and pans cabinet while I decided what to put back in and neaten up.  I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what's lurking in the back now. 

It's not pretty, but it does the job.  The kitchen we moved from was probably 3 times bigger than this one, but somehow I have everything I need.  I keep a few things I don't use often in the hall closet or garage, and it's pretty efficient.



 She was supposed to come tackle my rolling shelves and lower pantry today but didn't show up.  I have to be firm on tossing some of the spices that seem to have been hanging around for 10 years or longer.  I know they're not supposed to have retained their flavor, but if they smell right, I'm not tossing them.  I don't really want to spend a fortune on new ones  

This is one of my favorite things in my kitchen.  It holds all the spices and flavorings and baking things in just 5 or 6 inches of wasted space.  When I moved to this apartment, there was a little scare that it wasn't going to fit, but we talked it into sliding right in.  


I put together this cabinet last summer, I think, and it's my second favorite thing.  I keep extra coffee and the girls' snacks and dishes in the bottom section.  They can come in and get their little bowls and help themselves.  They love having their own space, and only a few times have I seen some extra cookies being grabbed.




I put the spices I use the most in this shallow drawer since I didn't have anything special in it, and I think I'll keep them there.  It's much easier than rolling all of them out and easier to read the labels too.


My friend Mary came over to visit this afternoon and to play a game of Scrabble.  She also brought in some snowflakes, but we just ignored them.  I went through a phase of playing Scrabble on the computer but just haven't even done that lately, so I wasn't too confident.  We enjoyed it and ended up with scores so close we called it a tie.  I started off strong, and then she overtook and passed me while I sat there with a rack full of vowels, but I went for the kill on the last play with a Z word in the triple space.  It's so nice to have a friend who likes to do different things.  She plays bridge a lot, but I feel like I'm too rusty to get back on that horse.  Both of us would like to get a Mah-Jong set and learn, or relearn, how to play that.  You do need a minimum of 3 though and ideally 4 to make it more fun.  Maybe if we play in the pool area this spring, we will drum up some interest.  

I didn't see any of the family today.  Karen was there visiting, so I know they had fun.  Snow is predicted for the next 3 days, but I don't think the temps will get low enough for any to stick.  I'm always being surprised though, so it may be all white tomorrow.  I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow at 11:00, so I'd just as soon drive on dry roads.  I dread going.  My doctor is lovely.  She listens and asks a lot of questions, and we got comfortable with each other in October.  But there is just something about going to the doctor, even for a follow-up visit.  I can't say I'm great, but my symptoms of fatigue and muscle weakness may be a little better.  I'll be glad to have gone when I get home, but it's still no fun!

I spent some time this afternoon trying to catch up with some emails and texts.  I haven't talked to friends in Texas in a couple of years, so I'm hoping to hear back from them.  I'll catch up over the next few days with others and try not to let myself lose touch with my old friends.  

I'm listening to a Ruth Ware book now, One By One.  It hasn't caught my interest yet, but I'm only 20% into it, so maybe it will get better.  I'm ready for some of the newer books that I have on hold to be ready.  I went on a binge of reading mainly two authors last month and tried to get all their books on audio.  Ann Patchett and Anne Tyler.  Once I find someone I enjoy, I just poke around until I find all their books and maybe even a movie or two.  

It's so late now.  I didn't realize my weekend was over.  I'm going to go see if there's anything white on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment