Monday, March 14, 2022

Does Belize have Cayes or Keys?

 I left all my education about the family's upcoming vacation to a 9-year-old, and I heard her say the islands were called Keys, but since I wrote about it on the blog, my news feed has been bombarded with articles about Belize.  I still haven't had time to read about it, but I did keep seeing Caye, so maybe that's what she's talking about.

It was a quiet weekend where I did what I wanted to, which was almost nothing at all, but I enjoyed doing all that nothingness.  Katherine lost another tooth, which was the biggest news report from Steller Way.  

We were going to get together and play games Saturday, then Sunday, then Monday, and things keep getting in the way.  I look forward to the summer when we have some long days to fill.  

I finished listening to my audio book, Summer Water by Sarah Moss, and liked it okay.  It was set in Scotland where the weather was much like ours is most of the time, so I could identify.  It was really little vignettes of the families or couples staying in a set of log cabins, and there was a good bit of mystery involved and some foreboding, but the story just abruptly ended with no explanation of what happened to the mysterious little girl Violetta - or anyone else.  It's like the author just got tired of tying up loose ends and just ended it.  

I'm starting on a Jodi Piccoult audio book right now when I get another cup of coffee.  It's Wish You Were Here.  It's been some time since she's written a book, and I've enjoyed most of them.  She tackles unpleasant subjects sometimes, and this one involves a virus that derails a young woman's life.  Sounds very familiar!  I'm not sure I've never read a book taking place in the Galapagos Islands, so maybe I'll learn something interesting.  A good many of the books I've requested are coming in, and I have to decide if I can get through them in 3 weeks or if I need to put them on a longer hold.  I'm so glad I have this escape.  Sometimes I completely forget where I am and am surprised when I have to return to my real life - and sometimes relieved!

The person I was playing Scrabble with came through with a word this morning, and he immediately blocked me, but I found another place and eventually won by 6 points.  I think the profiles with clouds are computer-generated, and the girls and I didn't much like that profile picture anyway!


It seems like masks are optional as of this weekend, but I might wear mine a while longer.  I've enjoyed hiding behind a mask, and I just feel so lucky not to have gotten sick (that I know of) that I don't want to risk anything.  Most people in the Dollar Tree Saturday wore masks, even young people.  It's almost become a way of life.  I wonder how the first day of unmasked school went.  

It was a scary time two years ago when we first started hearing how serious this virus was.  Now we're facing another crisis in the world, and who knows how this will end.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment