Saturday, May 26, 2018

Things I Didn't Really Want to Know

1.  Just where the veins are in a cat's ear that make it possible to draw a drop or two of blood twice a day every day.

2.  How to inject insulin into a cat.

3.  How much a bottle of insulin costs.


Stella doesn't care much about it either.  She just wants her Fancy Feast Trout and Shrimp dinners back.  But unfortunately, she's doomed to a life of little low-carb pellets and twice daily insulin shots.  Poor baby.

She had her second visit to the vet today, and fortunately Elise agreed to go along and learn how to do everything.  I'm frankly not sure I would be able to handle it.

I'll do well to handle the finances.  All the visits are not free, and her food and insulin certainly are not.  Now I have to buy a kitty glucose monitor and stick (Elise, anyway) her ear twice a day to check to see how much insulin she gets.  In two weeks, she's to spend the day at the vet's office getting glucose monitoring, and I don't even want to know what that will be.

Once the initial expenses are paid though, it shouldn't be a really expensive process.  The insulin bottle should last a couple of months, and I think that food will last for years.  It seems sad, though, for a kitty who just likes to mind her own business to have to go through all that.

I saw a different girl today, and she said, "I understand that you've decided to give Stella insulin, so I'll show you how to get started on that."  I picked up on the word "decided" and asked, "Is there a choice?"  She said very sweetly, "There IS a choice to not give her the insulin, but then she would die ... ."  So that's a pretty easy one to make right now.

I still like learning new things - but not these new things.


2 comments:

  1. I think she can eat fancy feast classic to be in remission

    Pleasse, read abaut feline diabetes in ther folow forun, they can help you and your cat
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

    Sorry for my bad english, it isn´t my idiom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this comment, and we actually did hear from the vet that Fancy Feast Classic was acceptable, so she got that as long as she lived. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete