Thursday, May 17, 2018

Stella/Molly to the Doctor

I've been putting it off, taking Stella/Molly to the vet here.  She's having some changes that bother Elise and me but doesn't seem to be feeling that bad.  From what I've read on line, her symptoms seem to be consistent with either a kidney thing going on or diabetes.  

I chose the vet's office a couple of blocks away just for convenience, although I still had to drive.  It's Snoqualmie Ridge Veterinary Hospital and very nice, although everyone who works there is a child.  

I made the appointment and then brought up the carrier.  Stella hasn't seen it since she moved here.  I'm not even sure we put her in it on the move here, because she just hates it.  Anyway, it's been years.  When I came in, she barely woke up from her nap to check me out, but when I opened that little cage door, she sat straight up and stared at it.  I cleaned off the dust and just left it there since we had a couple of hours before the appointment.  I looked for her a minute later, and she was nowhere to be seen.  

I figured I would have to dig under beds to find her, but she forgot after an hour and came out - but still wouldn't stop watching me.



When the time came, she went in with little struggle and was quiet.  It must have been a roller-coaster ride for her going down that flight of stairs to the car.  Once inside the car, though, she started her pitiful mewing and even into the vet's office.

The only thing to make her stop was when this sweet thing came in.


I'm not much into big dogs, but this was the sweetest, softest dog ever.  He had never seen or heard a cat so he wanted to nose around and see what those sounds he heard were.  Stella hissed at him one time and then just settled down to watch.



At first, he was intimidated by the hiss and went and sat on his owner's feet and leaned on him but then he came back and tried to lick her through the wire.  

Her doctor's name was Ocean - a first for us.  Dr. Skyrud in this group.  

We didn't go into detail about why she has two names and just went with Stella.



I got all the symptoms explained and let her explore a little bit.  


She was interested in the smells and sights but not really scared.

Dr. Skyrud poked and prodded a lot and said she didn't seem to have any appearance of a tumor or anything serious that he could feel and then took her off for labs.  

He suspects, like I mentioned, either an old-age kidney problem or diabetes.  I guess we'll know by tomorrow.  

She's a sweet kitty, and I hope there something that can be done for her.  She just wants to mind her own business, hide from the children, eat her Fancy Feast, and sit on Elise and me when she chooses.  

I have a feeling we're going to be offered a dental cleaning and plan, a flea treatment (although she never even had fleas in Georgia or Alabama), nail clipping, and that's not even taking into consideration medication and/or special food for whatever is wrong with her.  I'd better sell some more fabric!




I

No comments:

Post a Comment