Thursday, May 28, 2020

Katherine

This baby is 5 today.  The last one, the baby, but no longer a baby.



I was there when she was born and have been in her life almost daily since she was 8 months old.



You always wonder if you're going to love the second child as much as the first.  The first 9 months we were living here were difficult with Mike's health always being first on our minds, then losing him, and Emily starting her new job.  I felt overwhelmed with how much work taking care of two children under 3 was.  I loved her from the start, and she got used to me, but it took a while to form that bond that we now have, one where she looks at me with love in her eyes and whispers, "Mimi," when she sees me.  And one where my heart just melts when I hear her little voice and see her face.

We never had a day that there weren't cuddles and hugs and kisses.  She just fits perfectly in my arms, and there's nothing better.  Except the last time I touched her was March 12th - six weeks ago.  I wondered how we were going to make it being separated from each other, whether she would forget me and how sad it was going to be not seeing both girls every day, but both girls have done well with the new rules, and it seems almost as if the few visits are even more special.

Katherine started counting down to her birthday probably around February when Graysen turned 7 and she realized age 5 meant kindergarten and going to the same school as her sister.  This last week has been unreal with all her excitement, planning her birthday tea party and refreshments, inviting me every day, telling me how many more days it was every morning.

I didn't get to share much of her last day of being 4, just a quick visit on their way to the grocery store, but Emily sent an album of pictures that show just what a wonderful day it was.  I think she will probably remember this day simply because of it being so different and everyone working to make the best of things.

First, their next-door neighbor brought over the birthday sign. There can be no doubt about what's going on at this house.


They were all four walking to the grocery store to get her a birthday doughnut and stopped by to say hello.  Looks like she got a hummingbird balloon too.


Her portable "throne" is so funny to me.  She is perfectly capable of walking or riding her bike or scooter, but on a hike last week, they borrowed a stroller because of her possibly not making it all the way and not wanting to carry her.  Now that she experienced that, it's become her preferred method of transportation.


They stayed busy all day, walking to the park to decorate placemats (and fingernails) with jewels for the tea party.














A trip to the garden to plant some seedlings and check on the other plants.


They love the new truck a lot, and so does Ryan!


I'm not even sure what this is.  Chalk maybe?  It looks good enough to eat.


New matching nightgowns and a movie and popcorn plus some bouncing before bedtime.








And on the morning of the real birthday.



Cupcakes have arrived - with kitty paws - from across the street and a bunch of pink balloons from next door.


They're expecting some drive-by birthday wishes before the party.  

I bet I'll have some more pictures after the fancy tea party.  



No comments:

Post a Comment