Friday, June 5, 2020

Trying to Remember

It's a struggle to remember what I did on what day.

I have seen some members of the family at least once every day this week, so that makes a good week.  It may have just been a quick chat from the sidewalk or a visit when they're out riding bikes, but it was a good thing.  Except for Katherine's bicycle crash right in front of me.  I forget how much it hurts me for them to get hurt.  We've had several video chats.  The girls call whenever they want to and then forget I'm there sometimes, but I don't mind.

I just got to watch them get all excited about a Purple Cow that Emily was making them.  I sure hope it's as good as they think it's going to be.  Maybe I'll get a picture soon.

Okay.  Overall consensus was GOOD! And I heard the slurping noises, so it sounded good.




So Monday:  I knew Debbie was moving this week, so I texted her to see if we could visit one last time.  She said she was free all day since Steve was working, and she had no furniture in the apartment.  I went by and got us a Starbucks, and we went across the street to the little park and sat on a bench in the sunshine.  I doubt we were 6 feet apart, but anyway.  It was such a nice visit, and I'll miss her.  We will have texting and phone calls and maybe play some on-line Mah-Jong later on, but it won't be the same as if she were just up the street.  She's going to be surrounded by her family, and she'll be getting her house all unpacked and set up.

Happy days in Kansas, Debbie!


And Tuesday I cooked again.  I made our old Mexican casserole that I used to always have at Christmas time.  It's so easy with nothing to cook but the rice and just opening  a lot of cans.  I don't have an after picture, and the before one doesn't look wonderful.  But it was.


My old stained up recipe.


I'm going to try this as soon as I get to the grocery store.  Noreen's pretty card and handwriting, and she says it's delicious.


I then made Eleanor's sugar cookies.  I loved mixing them up and patting out the first 2 or 3 batches, but I don't have the patience she had to do those tiny little cookies, and I was over it after a while.  I wrapped up some of the dough and froze it for later on.



I put some heart sprinkles on some for the girls and sent them with the casserole that night.  I also took some up to Noreen who is able to have her little grandsons visit her now.  I took the third ones to Pam and Marvin, my downstairs neighbor.  I can't have all those cookies in the house.  I did put a little box of them by the coffee pot so Elise and I can have a few with our coffee.

I met some new neighbors yesterday afternoon who are so sweet.  A cute little kitten followed Elise up the stairs and just came in with her.  Her ears are the biggest part of her, but she's so loving and playful, climbing the little trees and running up and down the stairs.


Our cats were not happy to see her, so we couldn't keep her inside, and I was worried about leaving her outside all night.  I sat on the stairs a little bit, hoping someone would come along and claim her.  Elise had knocked on a couple of doors and asked, but then I remembered some new people had moved in across the sidewalk from us and went to their door.  I had already posted Lost Kitten on the community page, but when I asked her if they had a cat, she said, "Oh, no, is she out?"

It was a fun visit.  They've just moved from Mercer Island, and she has a mother in North Bend.  They'll be looking at a house when their lease is up in 6 months, but they want to be in walking distance of the school because there is an 8-year-old and a 5-year-old.  The 5-year-old is a little girl who had on kitty ears and a tail, so I bet she and Katherine will enjoy each other when we can get them together.  They have 2 cats, a goldfish, and a gecko named Orange.  I never thought when I woke up yesterday that I would be holding a gecko, but I asked if I could.  He's beautiful and not squirmy at all, so warm and plump.

From this angle he looks like a baby bird.


So it was a happy ending to the day for the kitty.  I think her name is Lunala maybe?

I've made myself go into the sewing room for at least a while every day and am getting some things done on the quilts.


Emily brought over her favorite (and only) overalls.  She's calls them Uncle Buster's overalls.  I don't know the story there, but I don't think Uncle Buster was ever that small!


I'll do my best.  The straps are fraying, and there's a hole in the back.  I think I can do some damage control.  Maybe.  There are also some leotards of the girls' with various tears and holes that I'll work on too.

I've read a couple of wonderful audio books - Dutch House by Ann Patchett, The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes, and have turned down more than that.  I just can't listen to a book if I don't enjoy the reader's voice.  Or the subject matter.  I did stick with The Death of Mrs. Westaway even though it went on forever.  I thought I had figured out the answer to the mystery, or one of them, but it took them until the last couple of pages before they let me know I was right.

Others are Clock Dance by Anne Tyler, The Widow by Fiona Barton, and The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides.  I'm right in the middle of The Scent Keeper, an e-book.  I wish it were audio because it's beautifully written, and I can't do other things if I have to stop and look at the words!

Except for our little bit of sunshine at the first of the week, it's not been really warm and conducive for walking or sitting outside.  I still can't believe I can't enjoy my balcony yet without wrapping up in a blanket.  I probably wouldn't be enjoying it much this week though.  The roofers are here and will be into next week.  The girls sure would be loving it though.


The weekend will have rain and thunder, according to Graysen, so I'll just plan to snuggle up inside and do more reading and more sewing.  Thank goodness for audio books and e-books.  I think the library is getting geared up to re-opening in a few weeks, and that will be nice. Barbers and hair salons too.  I'm past the point of desperately needing a haircut and have learned to like my new neglect hairstyle, but it will be good to have that option again.

We're still not ready to embrace total togetherness yet with the family.  I guess we'll just gradually ease into something pleasing to us but safe.  Ryan probably has work to do next week, and maybe I can watch the girls outside again.  After 3 months, it will be so exciting for them to come back here and remember all the things they used to play with.  And maybe meet the new kids next door.  I think we're all ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment