Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Lost in a Sea of Computers

For someone who had never heard of computers until I was past middle age, I sure do feel like I can't exist without them now.  Especially now when I don't have a lot of other things to do.

I'm afraid the computer I got last year that I thought was going to last me forever and be just what I wanted has been nothing but trouble.  I don't know if it's me or what, but I've had a problem several times with it refusing to charge and not even turning on.  One time one of the girls broke the screen.  Another time, I dropped it - not far but enough to irritate it, I guess.  Ryan has taken it apart more than once and resorted to using Super Glue the last time.  I feel like I want an 18-inch screen, but maybe that's the problem.  It's just too big and awkward for laptop use.


So this last episode I won't go into detail about, but it's the old familiar turning on for 3 seconds, beeping and turning off.  Ryan is about to set off on a camping trip so won't be able to help me for days.  I took out the USB charger, and the shiny thing stayed in the opening.  Broken.  I started to order a replacement and then cancelled the order, then felt sorry for myself a little bit.

I have my old, old Dell computer. my first laptop, that still has my pictures on it but is Windows 7 and no support.  I wore most of the keys off doing transcription, and then a couple keys fell off, and I may have lost a few more trying to fix those.  It's possessed and scrolls up and down at random, so it's just sitting there waiting for me to rescue those pictures before I toss it.


I have Mike's Chrombook which is small but reliable.  I let the girls use it for ABC Mouse when they were over here.  I have to use it as a guest and don't have my favorites or personal links, and besides it makes my heart hurt to think about how much he loved that little computer and never wanted anything else. 



My sweet daughter, Elise, one of the two daughters who tries to fix anything bad that happens to me, insisted I take her very nice computer since she only uses her phone.  I protested and found 100 excuses, but I tried it, and I think I can breathe again.  I set up a second account, and there were all my favorites and all my buttons and all my "stuff."

I think I'm going to (maybe) say good-bye to this beautiful giant silver thing and start over.  Seems a shame, and I might be convinced to have it repaired, but I need a plain old reliable computer that won't cause me so much frustration.



So this is my new temporary new home, and I can type with all 10 fingers instead of just my index finger, like on my phone, so it's blog time again.  

Not that I have anything to say.  Almost nothing at all but still checking in so as to not disappear.  

This happened yesterday, and I'm more thrilled than I should have been about it.


I heard Great Clips had re-opened, so I checked in and had 95 minutes to wait.  I would have waited 2 days because this person, and I'm sorry to say I don't even know her name, cuts my hair just like I want it.  

She patiently posed for a before picture and got to work.  It's the fastest haircut I've ever gotten, and I tried not to think of those scissors flying really close to my ears.  No conversation needed or wanted!  But then she didn't dry my new haircut like she did before, so I was left to walk home in the rain - but still happy, although I was a teeny bit worried about it.  I like to see the results before I leave, but this is a new time, and we take what we can get.

So I dried it, put my mask back on (upside down) for an after picture.  Yes.  Pretty close, and I didn't take any time with it, just blew it dry.  I'm threatening to color it, but I can't get up enough nerve.  

The girls vote for purple.



I had a nice Duo conversation with them yesterday while they ate lunch, and that's always fun.  I got to see newly painted fingernails, props for a gender reveal party across the street (It's a girl for the sweet neighbors), and what was for lunch.  We had discussions about school, hair growing out, and their upcoming camping trip.  



Just a few pictures in my camera, and that's enough of my nothing weeks.



That's Sally the salamander, in case it looks a lot like a worm - which I think it does and hope to never have to hold it.

When Ryan delivered my chairs, the girls got to come in - masks only and proper distance away - but it was pure joy.  They were so excited to find their old friends in the toy bins and played and laughed and didn't want to leave.  Maybe soon they can come back more and more.


Katherine dancing in her daddy's boots, her Rooster Valley graduation hat, and some dress that is her absolute favorite.


Graduation was nothing like we thought it would be.  No carnival.  No pony rides.  No cotton candy.  No HEAT.  It was just a family drive through, but it was better than not having one at all.











We're about to have spring/summer, I hear, and it's about time.  There's going to be reading on the balcony, taking walks, visiting in the sunshine, gardening.  So ready for it to happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment